DIY: Detachable Collar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Besides the regular summer activities such as road trips, working out (if you count trying Insanity for a day and almost dying), and generally lounging around, I spent this summer getting into thrift stores, consignment shops, and most of all, DIY fashion. I used up more of my summer than I’d like to admit with scissors and old shirts in hand, taking precautions not to cut myself while watching Youtube tutorial after Youtube tutorial. When packing for the new academic year, I made sure to throw in my trusty pair of fabric scissors with the winter clothing I’d bought from my favorite consignment shops back home.

However, my crop tops and cut tanks and high-waisted shorts will not be so practical for the upcoming fall months. So, I decided to do a little research on DIY fashion for fall and share it with HC Oxy readers! One of my favorite up and coming trends is definitely the statement collar. They can make any outfit look a little more sophisticated, but still fun and cute. (Let’s get real here, the best fashion trends are multi-faceted.)

These instructions on making and embellishing a lace collar are just a mash-up of ones I found on various fashion blogs (refinery29, A Little Bird Told Me, Rookie Mag). The whole idea, though, is to get creative using as little fabric and decoration as possible. This is a great way to reuse plain-colored blouses or sweaters by making them look interesting every time.

You will need:?
A pair of scissors?
Thread and needle?
Fabric glue?
A button-up shirt (preferably thrifted)?T
riangular lace?
Anything you want to decorate your collar with (i.e. old jewelry, doilies, pearls, studs)

1. Cut the collar off the shirt at the base of the collar seam. To make sure you’re doing this correctly, you can lay the shirt flat and cut along the neckline.?
2. Cut out one segment of the triangular lace that you’d like to place over the collar using glue. You can also just cut off a strip of lace to sew along the collar’s outer edge.?
3. Use fabric glue to attach collar decorations like old jewelry and doilies. Punch in studs at the collar tips if you want a more edgy look. 

Photo Source: russiandreamshop.tumblr.com