Deon Summerville ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity! Deon Summerville is a junior economics major and theatre minor. You may recognize him from widespread involvement in dance at Occidental, or because OSL just awarded him with “Best Room on Campus.”

HC: Most people know you as the Dance Production president. What made you want to be in such a high position? 

DS: I’ve just had an enormous passion for dance ever since I was little, and when I came to Oxy and saw that there was this really cool club that was filled with such diverse styles of dance, I said to myself “I HAVE to be a part of that.” And, here we are!

HC: What exactly are your responsibilities for the club?

DS: As president, I serve as overseer of the now 320+ member (YAY!) club, I set all of the important dates for the year and serve as one of the main contact persons, along with A TON of other stuff behind the scenes of DP. 

HC: What do you hope to see this year with regard to Dance Production?

DS: This year, I’m hoping that the club will grow even more and for the show to become even more diverse. Not surprisingly, both of these things have already come to fruition. I am beyond thrilled about this upcoming year of Dance Pro and I can’t wait for the rest of Oxy to see what we’ve been up to. 

HC: Favorite thing about Oxy?

DS: Dance Pro (if it wasn’t clear all ready).

HC: Advice for first-years:

DS: Join Dance Pro! 

HC: Plans for the future?

DS: Have a career in the entertainment industry! Whether that be on stage or behind the scenes, who knows?

HC: Hero? 

DS: J-Law is my one and only hero.

HC: How do you feel about winning the title of “Best Room on Campus?” Anyone you’d like to thank?

DS: Honestly, it feels pretty rewarding to have so many people recognize my decorating talents. I’d just like to thank all my fans, without whom, I would have never been able to win anything in the first place.