Best of the Web Roundup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

This Her Campus Oxy staffer had major writer’s block this week. Maybe it was because it’s the second week of classes and the new, and shiny feeling of being back at school is wearing off. Maybe it’s because I’m exhausted from my 9:30 to 3:30 MWF class schedule. I might just have a bad case procrastination. Anyway, as I procrastinated this article, and panicked every hour when I realized that I had ZERO ideas, I visited some of my favorite time-wasting sites. After procrastinating for almost three hours (eeek) I finally decided that it was time to at least open a new Word document, and that’s when it occurred to me: I should share my favorite websites of the moment with the lovely Her Campus Oxy readers. Maybe you have heard of these sites and never visited them, used to love them and forgot about them, or are a frequent visitor, but I thought that it would be great to share the fun that I have visiting my favorite sites.

PostSecret
I know that many of the Her Campus Oxy readers are devout PostSecret Sunday readers like me. There’s no better fifteen-minute Sunday break than reading other people’s deepest darkest secrets (with illustration!) I especially like this website because it saves me the $18.17 that the book costs in stores.
www.postsecret.com

Food Gawker
Does anyone else love staring at yummy looking food? I hope that’s not just me… For some reason I love torturing myself on Food Gawker with photos of food that will NEVER appear in the Marketplace. To justify my masochism I collect my favorite recipes and delude myself into thinking that when I have time I will try them (all 268 of them).
http://foodgawker.com/

Tetris
For some reason, this simple, traditional game is incredibly fun to me. After staring at the geometric shapes for hours I find that start to see objects in my room as Tetris shapes. I especially love Tetris because there is no winning and there is no end – just an endless quest to beat your highest score.
www.freetetris.org

Listverse/mental_floss/Snopes
These three websites are great for the every factoid lover. Listverse features lists (obviously) on any topic imaginable. Mental_floss is comprised of articles on seemingly meaningless, but incredibly interesting topics. Snopes is great for checking if that Facebook chain message that is being posted all over is really true, and it’s super fun to read about folklore and hoaxes.
www.listverse.com
www.mentalfloss.com/
www.snopes.com

Asos
This is my new favorite website for online shopping. The sales are amazing, and I love to come to this site when I want to find a super cute skirt or dress.  What makes Asos unique is its retro-inspired clothing and its huge inventory.
www.us.asos.com

TV Fanatic/TV Line
Calling all television superfans! TV Fanatic and TV Line are both great for those of you who love watching TV and obsessively following your favorite shows. I love to go on these sites and read spoilers about upcoming episodes, and read reviews to see how other fans felt about certain episodes. Warning: Do NOT go to these websites if you do not want any spoilers.
www.tvfanatic.com
www.tvline.com

Twitter
If you don’t have a Twitter account, I would highly encourage you to consider getting one. At first I was very skeptical of Twitter. Who tweets about their day? Why would I want to read what other people are doing in 140 characters? How could it even compare to Facebook – why not just update your status? But then I joined. And I’m addicted. There’s no way to describe how great Twitter is to non-converts, but I can only say that it is amazing.
www.twitter.com

What are your favorite websites to browse? Share them in the comments below!

Header image: Rachel Simmons’ blog
Insert image: skai.gr

Hi! I'm a super busy sophomore at Occidental College. I'm a Spanish, Group Language (Chinese and Linguistics) double major.
Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.