All About Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

When considering what to write about for this article I tried to think of what I’ve been fascinated with lately. For those of you who don’t know me, I tend to become fascinated with one subject or another, and I frequently get obsessed with one item or style of clothing. Right now my obsession is dresses. I am so grateful to live in this lovely California weather where it is possible to wear dresses every day.

Dresses are the ultimate feminine clothing item – a well-chosen dress shows off every curve and is amazingly ladylike. For the more funky girls – dresses can be accessorized into an edgy, trendy look. Right now some of my favorite dresses are all lace. For years lace has been categorized as frumpy or old-fashioned but it is making an amazing comeback. I think that a great modern way to wear a lace dress is to choose a bright, fun color that really makes you stand out.

Another one of my favorite styles of dresses is the skater dress, which is fitted to the waist with a flowy skirt. I have found that skater dresses are a universally flattering style, and that the skirt is just really fun to wear. Another obsession of mine is color-blocked dresses. I love the way that colors that I would never combine in one outfit come together to make an amazing, interesting dress. Color-blocked dresses come in shades neutrals to shades neon – so there is certainly one for a color-block dress for every girl. I personally do not wear maxi dresses, but many of my good friends do, and they all look GREAT. Maxi dresses are fun and casual but can easily be transformed into an appropriate dress for going out at night with the right accessories.

The one major concern for every girl is how to find the right dress at the right price. As much as I would love to fill my closet with super expensive dresses – that just isn’t an option for me as a college student. Some of my favorite websites or stores for dresses are Forever 21, H&M, Urban Outfitters, nastygal.com, and us.asos.com. Happy shopping! 

What dresses are you wearing this spring?

Image credit: wholesalesarong.com

Hi! I'm a super busy sophomore at Occidental College. I'm a Spanish, Group Language (Chinese and Linguistics) double major.
Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.