10 Ways to Cure a Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Started off the week on the wrong foot? It’s okay, it happens sometimes. Waking up late for a test, forgetting to do the reading for next class lesson, or receiving a bad grade on a test can set you and your schedule off balance. Don’t worry too much, because here are some things for you to do get back on track and brighten up your day!

1. Make that Phone Call – I always find myself sneaking in phone calls at the most random times during the day in order to keep in touch with my family and friends. Though it can be nice to skype and text, a fix to a bad day is to call someone that can put a smile on your face immediately.
  2. Go on a Drive – I remember going on late night trips to 7-Eleven with my friend and grabbing Slurpies. Though it was not a long drive away from school, it was an opportunity to take a break and get off campus. If you have a car on campus, go on a drive and put on some music (if it was me, 93.5 FM would make the road trip worth it!)
  3. Dance! – Yesterday, my friend told me that even though she dreads dancing just a bit, she still takes classes at school. She believes that with practice, she will be able to get over the awkwardness and become better at dancing. So turn on some music and get moving.
  4. Eat and treat yourself to some dessert while you’re at it – Have you ever finished dinner but find yourself to be craving something sweet? I have! In the Marketplace, there are tons of cookies and cakes out on display, begging to be eaten. I fall hard for the chocolate and caramel cookies; they’re great. If you and your friends ever find yourself in the Pasadena area, stop by ‘Dots Cupcakes’. If you’re near the Glendale area, check out ‘Crumbs’. If cupcakes are not exactly your thing, Yogurt Haven in Eagle Rock is always a nice finish to any meal.
  5. Grab yourself some tea/coffee and a magazine/book – In college, I find it hard to sit down and enjoy some tea and read for leisure. I’m still trying to balance my time, but it is always nice to have an afternoon to yourself and something nice to read…especially if it’s not a book for school (:
  6. Get Crafty – Whenever I walk up to my friend’s dorm room, I always notice arts and crafts that she makes in her spare time. Her door is decorated with a sign that she made for her and her roommate. Around Valentine’s Day, she brought out materials to make valentines. Use your creativity and make something pretty and colorful out of it.
  7. Give Someone a Compliment – Even though you’re having a bad day, you may not be the only one. If you see someone with a cute dress on or cool running shoes, compliment them! You truly never know the power of a compliment until you see how much it can brighten someone’s day.
  8. Go shopping – Alright, fine. Get that new iPhone case that you wanted or the cool watch for your dad. Retail therapy for you and others can be comforting, but just don’t go overboard.
  9. Exercise – Exercising is another outlet that you can use to relieve some stress, so take that opportunity. Take a run around the neighborhood, go to the gym, take a walk, row around, and drain shots! Do what you enjoy.
  10. Nap – Missing out on necessary sleep may contribute to your stress. It’s good to hit the sheets and take some time to rest up and wake up with a positive mentality regardless of the bad things that happened throughout the day. Take it easy.

Your day or week isn’t over unless you say it’s over. You are all strong-willed people so don’t let that test score bring you down. Keep your head up and things will be okay, you just have to be patient and keep on working hard. But also, remember to engage in activities that make you happy.

How do you fix a bad day?

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.