This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Before coming to college, everyone was telling me what their experiences were like and how they dealt with the change in their own lives. However, I knew it would not be the same hearing it than actually experiencing it on my own at Oxford. Entering college has given me a whole new lifestyle than before, and I have noticed the changes both academically and socially.

One of the biggest changes I found different were the academics. The workload has increased significantly with a lot more readings and homework assignments than before. College also differs greatly from high school with the exams. For one class, I would only have about two or three tests before a final exam, meaning that a majority of the grade would depend on just those exams. While this adds a lot of pressure to doing well, it has taught me to manage my time better. Here at Oxford, I have a schedule with mainly afternoon classes, and this has allowed me to get much more sleep and wake up earlier to get my work done. I also complete assignments in between classes as well, which I find quite useful because all of my classes are not back to back like they used to be in high school.

For the social aspect of Oxford, I initially found it difficult to incorporate myself in the community but have slowly adjusted. When I first moved in, I remember feeling especially homesick and having a strong urge to constantly call my old friends back home. I come from Pennsylvania and knew absolutely no one who was attending this school. As an introvert, I was aware before moving here that it would take some time to find my group of friends. However, after becoming familiar with my PAL group and joining some great clubs, I have met wonderful people at Oxford. Every student is so down-to-earth and kind that they make me feel more welcome day after day. I am constantly meeting new people and I enjoy being able to interact and find things in common with them. As much as I do miss my friends from high school, I understand that we are all on our individual college journeys and need to focus on schoolwork. Nevertheless, we still talk frequently and update one another on what is going on. It is a great feeling having wonderful, loving people back home and at Oxford.

The very last difference I have noticed is the change in lifestyle. I have had to watch not only my own diet, but also my exercising, laundry, organization skills, and how to be more independent in general. Although the dining hall serves delicious food, I’m slowly learning how to control myself when I know something is too much and maintaining a regular workout plan. In terms of laundry and organization, I have managed to keep a schedule of washing my clothes as well as cleaning out the room on weekends. I have guided myself through this process of college without the aid of my parents, and as different and challenging as it has been so far, I am enjoying every step of it. I am truly looking forward to my next few years at Oxford College and the overall experience of being a part of the community here.

Jackie Doctor

Oxford Emory

My name is Jackie Doctor, and I'm a sophomore at the Oxford College of Emory University. I'm an Anthropology and Biology major on a pre-med track. I'm interested in pursuing a profession in Allied Health. I'm a huge fan of Game of Thrones, Parks and Rec, and Bob's Burgers, and I read, write, and play the ukelele in my spare time.