books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Welcome to the Hotspot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

If you meander up the front steps of Humanities Hall and follow the echoes of zealous shouts, you’ll find yourself looking into a rather large space filled with various seating and table arrangements. You’ll see two HDTV’s mounted on the walls and a large projector screen. You’ll find that those shouts you heard were coming from a heated game of Super Smash Bros or maybe from a group of friends chatting on the L-shaped leather couch while listening to their favorite tunes over the Bose-powered sound system. This is the Humanities Hotspot!

The Hotspot is the perfect setting to gather with friends to play video games, catch up on your favorite shows, listen to music, and just hang out! There are numerous consoles including PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U as well as a wide range of games! You don’t even have to check them out or rent any of the equipment – everything inside is for students to use freely!

You’ll find several communal MacBook Airs that students can log into to use (so long as they stay in the Hotspot), a printer outfitted for Eagle Print, and one of the two Starbucks coffee machines on campus! In the back corner, you will see two desktops and a 3D printer! Student technical support is also available in the Hotspot throughout the week for those who need it. If you’re not sure how to hook up a system, there are also Hotspot Team Members who’ll be happy to help you out!

Overall, the Hotspot is a lively place to be throughout the day with a number of amenities and services available that make it a prime location on campus. So, make sure to stop by with a friend for a friendly round of Mario Kart or gather on the couch for a late-night movie! The Hotspot is open from 8 AM until 2 AM during the week, and from 10 AM until midnight on the weekends, so it’s the ideal location for a friends-night-in! 

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!
Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.