Thoughts on Franz Boas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Boas made significant contributions to the field of anthropology, and ultimately, left a lasting impression on generations of anthropologists. He revolutionized the field by introducing unique theories and methodologies that argued against existing dogmas in 20th century American anthropology, such as the assumption of unilineal cultural evolution. In particular, the concepts of anthropological holism, cultural relativism and historical particularism expanded the range of study in anthropology, encompassing the idea of cultural behavior and its role in society. Such ideas attempted to combat the prevailing themes of ethnocentrism and racism, and developed new perspectives on viewing non-Western cultures. Boas was also the first to implement the scientific method into the study of human cultures and society, which provided a systematic way of studying cultures and societies of interest.

Boas challenged the conventional theories and concepts of his time. The pioneering of cultural relativism and historical particularism, as well as the emphasis on intensive field work, disputed the predominant view of a superior Western culture, and advanced the field of anthropology in several ways. The concept of cultural relativism, for example, allowed anthropologists to study other cultures from an insider perspective. Boas’s contributions are reflected in the works of his students. Prominent anthropologists, such as Margaret Mead and Edward Sapir, advanced his study of human cultures and societies in different fields through unorthodox methods. For example, Margaret Mead focused on the relationship between individuals and culture by studying the processes of human development and its influence on an individual’s identity and their interactions within society.

In a similar fashion, contemporary anthropologists, such as Abu-Lughod, have questioned and opposed traditional views of anthropology through a variety of methods. Cultural relativism and intensive fieldwork are utilized in collecting data and observing different cultures. An insider perspective is essential in truly understanding an aspect of a culture. Although such methods may be common, the presentation of resulting works and the thought processes behind creating ethnographies is constantly evolving and capturing different realities of a society in unique ways. I think this idea mirrors Boas and his students’ contributions to anthropology, wherein each individual provided the foundation for current anthropological theories and methodologies.

Jackie Doctor

Oxford Emory

My name is Jackie Doctor, and I'm a sophomore at the Oxford College of Emory University. I'm an Anthropology and Biology major on a pre-med track. I'm interested in pursuing a profession in Allied Health. I'm a huge fan of Game of Thrones, Parks and Rec, and Bob's Burgers, and I read, write, and play the ukelele in my spare time.