The Seasons are Changing—Time to Slay Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

As the semester progresses, waking up and going to that early morning eight thirty class tends to get harder and harder. Just as you are getting into the flow of classes, that slightly chilly morning nip returns and your bed becomes all that much more inviting. The leaves begin to fall around us in shades of vibrant yellows, satisfying oranges, blood reds, and deep maroons, we can appreciate nature’s beauty that Autumn brings.

Lil’s Dining Hall also seems to have noticed the change in season, as they have set up displays of various pumpkins and gourds in celebration of autumn. I don’t know about you, but when I see these decorations I get excited and count down the days to the first apple picking trip of the season! But what happened to Halloween? When we were younger, this time of year is the time during which we would be getting excited about dressing up.

As a college student, you may not have been dressing up and trick-or-treating for those last couple of years you spent in high school. Maybe you dressed up to hand out candy or to scare the neighborhood kids, making sure they get a trick before their treat. This year, should be about making Halloween fun again! Since Oxford College of Emory is so small, it will only take the enthusiasm of a few students, who want to dress up for some fun to get most of the campus to join in. As we all get past difficult mid-terms and papers, we should have something to look forward to.

Wouldn’t it be fun to go to calculus or chemistry class for a day sitting between Harlequin and Luigi?  Imagine going to art class between Deadpool and Hello Kitty? Or sitting in Lil’s Dining Hall next to a minion and a banana? What about walking down the quad to see the Bride and Texas Ranger? Halloween is one day of the year, where we can acceptably wear almost anything we want. Why don’t we make use of this opportunity? It’s a great time to relieve some stress and bring a smile to your friends faces.

Halloween this year falls on a Monday which allows the perfect opportunity to start the week on a good note! Not to mention, this is the perfect time to make Dooley, the spirit of Emory, proud. Get together a group of friends and come up with some costume ideas. We can only imagine how happy Dooley would be to have some skeleton friends!

Let’s slay this Halloween.

Darya Farrokhi

Oxford Emory

Darya is currently a sophomore at Oxford College of Emory University. In her spare time, she likes to run, mountain bike, paint, and read books. Her current intended major is Biology. She has a passion for exploring the outdoors and hopes to share that with others.
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.