Get to Know: Darya Farrokhi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Welcome back peeps! As you can tell, we’re off to a fresh start here at Her Campus! The semester has just begun and we know you’ll want to get ahead of the curve and get to know Darya Farrokhi, our Senior Editor! x

HC: Can you introduce yourself a bit?

DF: Hi. My name is Darya Farrokhi. I’m from Georgia. And currently I’m a freshman at Oxford College. I haven’t declared a major yet, but I am looking to major in Biology in hopes of pursuing a career in medicine. A few of my on-campus involvements include Her Campus, Oxford Ensemble of Shakespearean Artists, and Lifeguarding (there are so many more).

HC: How did you find yourself coming to Oxford College?

DF: When I was first looking at colleges, Emory in Atlanta was all I knew about. However, as soon as I found Oxford College online, I knew Oxford was the place for me. I love the small class sizes and friendly community!

HC: What’s one thing you would say to incoming freshmen?

DF: You will probably hear this a lot when you come to Oxford because the community here truly cares. I’m going to say it again here. Go to professor’s office hours. It will help you understand so much more.

HC: What activities are you involved in on campus?

DF: There are so many activities that students at Oxford (including me) are involved in, so I will briefly go into a couple of my involvements.

Being an Oxford Emory Her Campus Contributor and the Senior Editor has been part of one of my favorite involvements on campus because I get to know the members of the club not only in person but also through their writing. If you are reading this and are interested in writing for Oxford’s Her Campus Chapter, please send an email to oxford-emory@hercampus.com. We would love to have you!

Other than Her Campus, I have been involved in the Oxford Ensemble of Shakespearean Artists, which you may have read about in some of my articles. Last semester, we put on a modern production of King Lear. Performing in the show was a blast!

HC: What are some things you suggest Oxford students do when they aren’t studying?

DF: I could give some obvious suggestions like checking out Atlanta, hanging with friends, trying out restraunts, or joining a club (as if Oxford students haven’t already joined three!). But many Oxford students are not aware of Oxford College’s field laboratory for Biology and the pond right next to it. I would advise checking out the pond and the trails around it at OxHouse Science Center for a quick study break, as it is located within a mile of the school. 

Another relaxing place to go is Oxford College’s Organic Farm. Students can either enjoy the farm for a nice walk or spend some time volunteering and learning about sustainability from Daniel Parsons.

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.