nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Some of us are dead set on careers; other have no idea what we’re going to do with our lives. No matter what I know everyone tells you to do what you love, so I’ll skip that cliché. A few years ago I would’ve said that’s complete bullshit. And it is true that no matter what career I go into I want to be have a dependable salary, but it is so important that I enjoy what I do.

My first job was in a law firm. I got paid a whopping $10 an hour (the minimum wage in Georgia is $7.50), I could choose my own hours, and I had no stress or real responsibility. Despite all the perks, I was miserable. I watched the clock waiting for the minutes to pass by even when I reduced my workday to four hours. I thought that was just the way work was, and I dreaded the day I would have to get a real job.

The next year, I worked at a summer camp. I was paid minimum wage and I had to work 3-5 hours from home unpaid to make lesson plans for my campers. Nothing I did was ever good enough for my boss, and every day I came home exhausted from running after 5 year old’s every day. But I loved my job. I got to work with people my age, be outside, and I enjoyed being busy. The days flew by. I may never have a job as fun as summer camp, but I know working does not have to be horrible.

You have to spend nearly every day for all of your working life doing the career you choose. That’s a lot of time. So please don’t do something that makes your hourly tea break the best part of your day (true story). 

All images sourced from Pexels

Sydney Sumrall

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.