5 Reasons Why It’s Good to Spend Time Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

1. You Learn to Love Yourself

When you spend time alone, you learn how you are when no one else is around to answer that question for you. In the peace and quiet of solitude, you can begin to understand what you admire about yourself and what you are most proud of! Spending time alone to reflect improves both self-confidence and self-love!

2. You Learn to Love Life

Alone time may help you to realize how important your friends are, how much you appreciate your mother’s advice, or the way that simple activities can have a significant impact on the quality of your life. Spending time doing things like walking in the park, reading a mystery novel, or listening to music while cleaning up your dorm room can boost positivity and give you a rosier outlook on life.

3. You Learn to Improve

Another reason it’s wise to schedule alone time is to learn what you aren’t proud of or are displeased with and to figure out how to resolve that issue. For example, if you don’t like how unhealthy you feel, you can determine an exercise regimen that you can incorporate into your daily schedule! You can practice that musical instrument you’ve ignored sense High School marching band, meditate, pray, or think about how to improve relationships with your significant other, your family, or your friends!

4. You Learn to Focus

Many people make excuses not to spend time alone because there isn’t enough time for it but scheduling time to relax can help you to focus and achieve a higher quality outcome in a shorter period of time.

5. You Learn… to Have Fun!

Disconnecting from communicating with others for a time (including texting, emailing, or talking) creates an open environment where you can learn about things you wouldn’t have the chance to learn about otherwise. You might read articles online that talk about improving lifestyle choices, watch a documentary simply because you’re interested, or learn to pick up a new task (like knitting)! No matter what you do, alone time allows you to become a more well-rounded individual!

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!