Style > Beauty

Your Guide to Long, Strong, and Healthy Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

For someone who has been dyeing and using hot tools on their hair for quite some time now, I have learned all the tips and tricks to maintaining the healthiest hair possible while doing so. Even if you don’t dye your hair or use heat on it, these are great products and pointers to follow if you want lustrous locks.

Use a Cotton T-shirt Instead of a Towel to “Towel Dry”

For years I would always bring two towels into the bathroom with me when I showered. One for my body, one for my hair. I also know many other girls do this as well. I have learned, however, that towels are a bit rough for your hair when it’s wet. Hair is most prone to break when it’s wet, so we must be as gentle with it as possible. I have found that cotton t-shirts work excellently as a replacement. It’s also kind of like recycling; you can just use one of your shirts already in your hamper (as long as it isn’t too gross) and then just throw it in the washer when you’re done using it on your hair!

Put Down the Blow Dryer

This was personally never an issue for me because blow drying always took too much time and energy with my hair. Not to mention I would look like a lion by the end of it. Doing it every once in a while isn’t going to kill your hair, but blow drying isn’t a necessity after every shower. Obviously, if you need your hair dried in a timely fashion for an event or it’s snowing outside and you don’t want your hair to freeze, feel free, just try and avoid it as much as possible. If you are using heat tools, remember to always use a heat protectant. I never used to, and my hair paid the price.

It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product

This product is amazing because it’s an all in one. It repairs dry, damaged hair, adds shine, detangles, controls frizz, seals and protects hair color, prevents split ends, stops hair breakage, creates silkiness, enhances natural body, and has flat iron spray and thermal protector. Ever since I started using this stuff I swear my split ends have vanished. One easy step in your routine and you’re set! I just spray some from my ears to my ends after I get out of the shower and brush it out with a wide tooth comb.

Don’t Brush Your Hair When Wet

Our hair is the most susceptible to damage when it is wet because that is when it is the most sensitive. That is why it’s important that you don’t use a regular hair brush after you hop out of the shower. I recommend using a wide tooth comb or even your fingers if you don’t have a lot of hair. Always start from the bottom and work your way up, my mom used to tell me this all the time when I was little and of course, I just ignored her, but now I know she definitely knew what she was talking about, as moms usually do.

Hair Masks!

I haven’t tried many of these, but, my favorite right now is the Macadamia Deep Repair Masque. It says to use twice a week for best results, but I only use this about once a month or whenever my hair needs a “pick me up.” I’ve noticed it leaves my hair silky and soft afterward without it being greasy. I apply it in the shower after I’ve rinsed out my conditioner. I focus it on my ends and put the excess on the rest of my hair. Then I leave it in for 7 minutes and rinse it out.

Sam is a Business Administration major with an Entrepreneurship minor in her junior year at SUNY Oswego. She loves animals (especially cats), makeup, retail therapy, sunsets, iced coffee, and rewatching The Office.
Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.