Yoira Santos: Yoga Instructor Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Meet Ms. Yoira Santos, a person who always carries an aura of tranquility. She is currently majoring in human development and minoring in expressive arts therapy.

“To take classes where using creative expressions as a healing force not only helps me with my courses, but for everyday life,” Santos says.

On top of classes, she also teaches yoga at both Glimmerglass and Cooper Fitness Centers. Here, students can relax and forget about all the stresses of the day.

“Yoga is a unique combination of poses that unites the body, breath and mind,” Santos says. She adds that people think yoga requires flexibility and strength as a pre-requisite, but in fact, all you need is yourself and where you are at that moment.

“When you do yoga you come face to face with yourself.”

For the students who feel heaviness on their plate or would like to try something new, they should take Santos’s class. She provides a non-judgmental environment for all, where you can experiment with your own strengths and accept your weaknesses.

Teaching these classes combine her passion for yoga and her minor in expressive arts therapy.

“It’s experimentation,” Santos says. “In order to be creative, you must be present in the moment and there you will find infinite possibilities of each moment.”

I had the chance to experience one of her classes and it taught me to focus on my breathing and to release all tensions from my body. Some of the poses were hard, but she provided modified poses for those who are not as flexible. As an outsider to yoga, I would definitely recommend going to one of her classes. Her schedule is listed below:

Thursday 4:45-5:45 Glimmerglass
Friday 3:00-4:00 Glimmerglass
Sunday 5:00-6:00 Cooper

“Yoga provides self discipline and stillness of the mind,” Santos says. “With those two key concepts, you as an individual can accomplish anything…nothing can stop you except yourself. “

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.