This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

With BamaRush Week trending all over social media, I am reminded of the influence and impact of Greek life on college campuses. When coming to college I was very scared, I knew about Greek life at the time and felt like it was the only way to meet people and “thrive” in college. Although Greek life is a great way to get involved and meet new people, as a person of color, I have always seen sororities as a very white place. I have never felt that I had a place in sororities or Greek life in general. As silly as it sounds to me now, I am sure there are people out there who feel the same way, which is why I am writing this in the first place. 

What if I don’t like Greek life? Well if you ignore all the movies and stereotypes about college you can still have a lot of fun, be very involved, and meet so many great people without the pressure of joining a sorority. So, where can you start? The first thing you can do is look inward and take the things you enjoy. This could be anything from painting, movies, politics, fashion, etc., and if you make an effort to join any clubs that involve those interests. Maybe an art club and a film club. Once in those clubs make an effort to attend meetings and get to know other members of the club. If your school doesn’t have a club that involves a hobby or subject you love, try something new! Though this may be scary at first, trying a new club can be extremely beneficial, you can meet new people and even find out new things about yourself. And if you don’t end up liking it, at least you can say you tried and either way you are still learning new things about yourself you did not know before.

Now if you, like me and a minority, say black, Hispanic, Native American, etc. You could look for specific organizations within your school that support and introduce you to others within your community. Though I always suggest expanding your horizons and getting to know everyone no matter what your race, sexuality, or gender is, it can be comforting to be around people who are like you and have had similar life experiences to you. 

On the other hand, sports are ALWAYS a perfect way to meet new people. Sports allow you to be around a group of people with whom you can work together, grow together, and bond as a team. But for some sports are not their thing, if that’s the case, try the gym. I have made a TON of friends through the gym, and by doing so you are improving your health and growing physically and mentally stronger!

Lastly, what can you do if you do have/enjoy clubs and organizations? How can you meet friends and get involved in campus life? My biggest advice is to talk to everyone, in order to meet people you need to put in the effort, and this is coming from someone who used to be incredibly shy. The more you go out of your way to talk to others and make plans to hang out with people the more comfortable you will feel doing so. Along with that, you can try to attend social events and be active. Say volunteering, going to the park, if your college has game nights. My school has open mic nights and festivals for students, so if your school has things like that, definitely take advantage and get involved. 

At the end of the day, being in college, and meeting new people is always scary, and Greek Life can feel like your only option as a college student. This is my advice to students who are struggling and looking for new ways to get involved. 

I am a student at SUNY Oswego studying a BA of Arts in Political Science and minoring in Creative Writing. I am eager to express myself through my articles and hope to improve my skills!