Career

What Do You Do When You Get Fired Out of the Blue?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Before the start of the semester, I thought I had a stable job on campus. I’d have an income to support myself, buy food, and other things I might need for my house. To my surprise, this was not the case. I reached out to my boss to ask whether or not we’d have a meeting the first week of classes. The question was answered, but with the added detail that I lost my job due to managerial changes.

It’s a plus that I didn’t get fired because in actuality, I got “laid off”… even though that makes it sound like I suddenly got transported back to the 2008 financial crisis. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make the situation any less upsetting. I know that being fired can happen to anyone and I wanted to give tips on how to cope.

1) Cry it out

I don’t know about y’all, but I’m a crier. I was heartbroken, got a little too into my feels and started bawling. I feel that it is the best and safest way to let out my emotions rather than keeping it in.

2) Tell people you got fired

After processing the fact that you got fired, talk to someone about it. It lets the sting of being fired out of your system. All of the negative feelings will flow out like a deep cleanse. Plus, the comfort of someone else will help you get out of your head. The worst thing you could do is stay in your funk for too long.

3) Avoid the “What Ifs”

Don’t go through the whole list of possibilities of what could have or should have happened. Don’t ask yourself, “What if I hadn’t been so late to meetings?” or “What if I had put more effort into my work?” Reflecting on the past will not get you to your future. Accepting what happened as is shows maturity and the strength to move on.

4) Focus on fun activities

Now that you have a lot more free time on your hands, this could be spent on de-stressing. Do fun things to distract yourself. Go out with your friends to a party, take a nature walk, or even binge watch that show you’ve been putting off for weeks. Take this moment to put in some serious “me time.”

5) Begin the job search process again

After some time, you have to go searching for a job. Update your resume so future employers can see what your skills look like. Practice how you will act during an interview so you can become the best interviewee possible. Don’t pass up jobs that are only temporary either! A job is a job after all and the best way to earn experience is to get experience.

I know getting fired is an awful time, but we can’t let that stop us from progressing! Adulting is difficult and the real world is rough. We gotta toughen ourselves up for the hard blows life will throw at us.

Theresa is the social media manager and section writer for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor for HCHQ. Theresa is a senior double Public Relations and Global & International Studies major with a Political Science minor. She has a deep love for the environment and a big aspiration to travel the world and learn from as many cultures as I can. In her free time, Theresa looks up popular memes and updates herself on everything involving Donald Glover.
Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.