Life > Academics

Three Success Tips For Fall ‘23

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Fall semester can be challenging, coming off of summer break and getting back into our groove is hard for most college students. Here are some tips to help you blossom academically. A guide to academic success and personal growth. Some may argue that this statement is unethical. If you are someone who enjoys summer and likes to sleep in and go on vacations, this message might be eye-catching. I find that those who keep busy during summer, at least with an internship or do community service periodically in their free time, usually have a smoother transition back into school. 

Tip 1: Keep a little busy during summer breaks. 

• Keeping yourself busy here and there during summer will assist you in a work ethic flow. Like keeping a job. Waking up early for work or other activities will maintain your momentum in scholar mode.

Having a summer schedule will help you when coming back to school, doing nothing in the summer except partying and sleeping will make it more difficult when transitioning back to scholar mode. 

Tip 2: Arriving Early On Campus. 

Arriving early on campus will allow you to adapt to the environment and won’t be as awkward when coming back, the feeling can be intense being away from campus for so long. Try to participate in the move-in crew, as it allows you to be on campus early or apply for jobs that require moving in early for training. I find coming early allows me to adapt to my surroundings and get a sense of how my semester is going to go. What am I doing during my spare time while being on campus early? Taking the initiative to participate in activities and support different departments will relieve the anticipation of school.

Tip 3: Be easy on yourself, kKnow why you’re here! 

The best thing you can do as a college student is to take it easy on yourself. Remember, we are people who deserve breaks. However, don’t allow yourself to get overwhelmed by the workload. Use resources like Google Calendar to help you stay organized. Do you need academic support? Please don’t hesitate to visit the professor during office hours or seek TA help. As college students tutoring is very important, we are paying for our education. Visiting your tutoring center will support your academic goals for the semester. Remember why you are in college. Fulfilling all your goals within a semester can be frightening, remember there are resources available to help you succeed.

Hello, I'm Kaeillyn. I'm from the Bronx, my family and friends call me Kae, I'm presently majoring in Public Relations with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Gender Women Studies. I use writing as a platform to share my thoughts and experience. I joined Her Campus as a new opportunity to investigate my potential as a nonfiction book author/writer. My interests include learning new things, R&B and Soul music, civic participation, and community outreach.