The Trailer For The New Greta Gerwig ‘Barbie’ Movie Is Out, Let’s Talk About It!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The trailer for the upcoming Greta Gerwigmovie, “Barbie”, which is coming out July 21, 2023, just came out. If you haven’t seen it already, it’s a must watch for sure. This movie already looks incredible, not to mention the cast is absolutely stocked with incredible actors and actresses. The leads for this movie are the iconic Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, but the cast list also includes stars like Will Ferrell, John Cena, Dua Lipa, Michael Cera, Helen Mirren and so many more! The premise for this movie also seems like it makes for an incredible story! 

From what I have gathered from many sources, this movie seems to be about Barbie (Margot Robbie) leaving Barbie Land after realizing she may not be the perfect Barbie she is supposed to be. In the trailer, there are even some easter eggs that seem to point towards a plot that may be similar to that of “The Wizard of Oz”. One easter egg is that in the beginning of the trailer, Barbie is wearing a pink gingham dress which is very similar to Dorothy’s blue gingham dress. There is also a local movie theater that has posters of different Wizard of Oz characters including Dorothy, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion. Lastly, at the end of the trailer, when Barbie is driving away from Barbie Land, she is driving on a pink stone road similar to the yellow brick road in “The Wizard of Oz,” and her car is picked up in a gust of wind and flipped around, just as the Tornado scene when Dorothy’s house is lifted up and she is brought to Oz. 

Overall, based on the minimal information we have, this movie is seemingly going to be the movie of the summer! I predict this won’t be one you want to miss!

Katy Lynk

Oswego '24

Hi! My name is Katy I am a Senior at SUNY Oswego and I am majoring in Adolescent English Ed. I love reading, writing and going on adventures and I hope to be a High School English teacher in the future.