This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

If you ask my friends and family, they would likely describe my personality as someone who is ‘outgoing and enthusiastic, but she enjoys her chill time’. I enjoy going to parties with friends or hosting and planning a party, however, I will spend the next day watching Netflix. You can consider me as a personality light switch. In middle and high school, I could not identify myself as either an introvert or an extrovert to others. I was always eager to spend time with my friends or watch movies on a Saturday. 

Until the pandemic in my junior year in high school, I searched on google: What does it mean to be introverted but extroverted at the same time?” “Is having a personality switch when being with people normal?” 

As I thoroughly read every article, each description of characteristics of an ambivert pertained to me. Highlighting my personality influences how I approach my relationships and present myself in which I am involved with. 

Reena Goldman refers to ambiverts as: “These personality types are considered to be on a spectrum. That means someone rarely fits completely on one side or the other but falls somewhere in between. You could be closer to the extrovert side or closer to the introvert side… Ambiverts are in the middle. They may lean more toward extroverted or introverted behavior depending on the situation.”

During my first year of college, I planned to utilize my leadership experience and the skills I have learned. Interacting with peers and professors regularly in college has led me to understand my group role. When I hold a leadership role and encounter new opportunities, I make an effort to understand the individual learning styles and personalities. Therefore, I can better communicate, teach, and direct others. 

This fall, I will be a first-year success coach, a role to assist first-year college students with the transition from high school to college. I will coach and teach various personalities and backgrounds to brainstorm individualized goals. I will collaborate and teach alongside my instructor to identify skills, resources, and strategies students need to be successful academically and socially. As I will be facilitating conversations and making connections with my students, I can assist students with the goals and resources they need. 

Being an ambivert has changed my approach to getting to know people. As a success coach, I will provide meaningful advice that will pertain to the behavior and personality, experiences, strengths/weaknesses, and motivations.

You could consider the personality of a social chameleon. Think of the main character and the best friend in a movie. Although the supporting character watches and listens to the main character, they are also the main character who has an exciting, important plot. 

I would consider ambiverts as individuals who are the bridge between introverts and extroverts. They can socialize and vibe with different personalities, easily meet people who match your preferences, and interact with people who have different interests and perspectives. 

For this reason, networking with employers, peers, and professors can become an advantage for you. If you are personable, it is necessary to highlight your strengths and skills. You highlight your strengths and find balances of leadership opportunities, from a club, internship, e-board position, or job. Being personable led me to meet new people and sell myself in job interviews, and obtain leadership positions in organizations I am involved with. 

You could consider me the social chameleon. When completing projects and collaborating with others, attempt to understand their manners and match the energy that makes each person comfortable. You can better assist others using your and others’ strengths to work efficiently.  

Surprisingly, my personality as an ambivert has affected me to recognize my personal needs and energy levels and understand the behavior of others. Although I need to take time to myself and recharge, I enjoy talking to others and spending time with people. 

Finally, be the individual who is the first to participate in class. Do not be hesitant to initiate a group project. Find the balance between taking initiative fearlessly and allowing others to be leaders. Be the person who starts and listens to conversations and creates space for those who want to contribute. Ask questions, be attentive, and listen to your surroundings. Highlight your attributes and skills.  

If you would like to know my advice on how to be a people person, this article will not provide an easy solution for how to change your personality.

However, this article can be your insight on The Perks of Being an Ambivert. 

Katie Karlen

Oswego '25

New Yorker. Creative/Photographer. Traveler. Media enthusiast.