Wellness

The Importance Of Loving Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I was always told growing up that I should love myself for who I am. The thing is, nobody told me how to do this. Getting older in a world that so heavily revolved around social media and reality television made it difficult for me to find comfort in who I was.

Getting to college has made me realize that at the end of the day, I am always going to have myself. My friends will change, I may grow apart from family, but I am always going to be me. If there’s anyone I need to love more than anybody else, it’s myself.

I’ve found myself staring in the mirror and smiling at the body I have been given. The dips and curves of my hips, the scars scattered across various limbs, the eyes that hold so much behind them. I have found myself loving my stomach and thighs, even though many others would stay I need to lose the extra weight. This body has carried me through everything, and has protected me from any dangers thrown my way. I find that even when I push it too hard, it still forgives me. 

I have dance parties in a bralette and comfy shorts every single night. I don’t do it for exercise. I do it solely to celebrate my body and all it has done for me. It has supported me in every way possible. I want my body to know that I love it for all it has done for me, and I will continue to love it, even if it may not function the same a few years down the line.

When I was younger, I despised how I looked. Despised my smile, my arms, my stretch marks. Growing older has made it easier for me to surround myself with positivity and love. I deserve to feel good about this body that has done so very much for me.

To tie it all together, I also just love myself as a person. I am still growing and learning every single day, and I can readily admit that I’m not perfect by any means. No human is perfect, though. I’m messy and emotional, but it’s okay, because I love feeling and growing and existing. 

In general, the more I smile at my body and love the person I have become over the last 19 years, I have found my life becoming better. I am succeeding more, I’m caring less about the negative things people say about me. I’m finding the light in any situation, but balancing it with the negative. It’s okay to not be feeling your greatest all the time. It’s okay to not always be 100% confident in what you’re doing. No matter what, you have made it this far already. There is always room to grow and welcome more love into your life. As difficult as it is, it is genuinely such a beautiful thing to be in love with yourself.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.