Take Back the Night Comes to Oswego

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The first Take Back the Night event in the United States took place in Philadelphia in October 1975.

Now it has spread across campuses nationwide and even become an international program. Take Back the Night attempts to educate and assist individuals in dealing with sexual abuse and domestic violence.  While there is an emphasis on women, the concern on its most basic level is for people.

SUNY Oswego will be holding its annual Take Back the Night event this upcoming Wednesday, October 26 at 7:30 p.m.outside of Hewitt Union. They will pass out over 400 free shirts and whistles. After the walk, there will be an open mic session, in which anyone is allowed to speak.

Sexual abuse is an awkward subject and can be difficult to discuss. However, expression is crucial to good physical and mental health. Holding on to trauma can prevent people from accessing the potential immediate joy that surrounds them. TBTN allows people the opportunity to attach meaning to an event without letting it define a person. United in the belief that everyone deserves peace of mind when going about life’s daily mundane activities, students from across a diverse background band together and take to the streets.

Taking back the night is more than just a symbolic walk. After the walk people will gather and speak. Police officers and counselors are on staff to provide additional assistance if required. By creating a safe and positive environment many people find the strength to speak about their issues for the first time. Pretending something didn’t happen can often be much worse than not acknowledging it.

Anyone is welcome to speak at the open mic or take part in the walk. Simply showing up and projecting support can make a world of difference.

Taking back the night is a small goal in the route to helping people take back their lives.

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.