This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Photos by Kaitlin Provost, text by Phillip Elliott

Although the weather was cold and damp students turned out to support in astonishing numbers. TBTN continues to gain more support every year. Shortly after initially distributing the shirts, they were completely gone. Many students slipped the shirts over their hoodies before walking. Many held signs and chanted as they went from West Campus to Hewitt Union.  They took back the night in a very obvious way. Almost 500 people of a single mind marching with purpose to raise awareness is quite the spectacle. While it may be easy to ignore an individual it is impossible to ignore a group. The trek through campus caught a lot people’s attention.

The open mic built on that momentum to create better understanding and provide closure to many. By creating a positive environment with no expectations or rules, students found their voice.  Many found the bravery to speak of their personal trauma for the first time in front of complete strangers. For two hours, people shared how domestic violence and sexual abuse have affected them personally. The reality of the situation didn’t create despair; instead it provided motivation to prevent these tragedies from occurring daily.

There is a strong tendency to hide the ugly aspects of life. Unfortunately that doesn’t make them go away. Rape is a very under reported crime. Often the shame and embarrassment falls on the victim. Intense fear and guilt may occur despite having done nothing wrong. These attitudes must change.
Every individual should know that rape is wrong. Individuals who perpetrate such a heinous crime deserve punishment. The fact that these two ideas aren’t fully embraced by the public is disturbing. The taboo surrounding discussing the issue of rape increases the chances it will occur again.  Men must change their conception of women from sexual object to human being.

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.