Super Scary Ideas for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Halloween is a couple weeks away but it’s never too early to start making plans. It’s probably well known that Halloween is the most fun and celebrated holiday for college students: we get to dress up, go out, have fun and party (if you’re old enough to get into the bars, of course). But there’s always alternatives for students who don’t necessarily like to go out to parties or bars on Halloween weekends. Here are some fun plans and tips to have a fun and safe Halloween.

Have a scary movie marathon! Halloween is fun no matter what you do, but you can make it even better by gathering up your girlfriends and have a scary movie marathon. It’s always fun to hang with the girls, but when you put a scary movie in the equation, the screams and frights can make it that much better!

Visit a haunted place! Most of us get a rush by being scared and most of us just don’t like being scared at all. Get together with a big group and visit Fright Night at the Syracuse Fairgrounds on any weekend in October and experience a scary Halloween with your friends. Tickets that include the scary hayride and all haunted attractions are $20 per person, so get out there and have a spooky night! Visit http://www.frightnightsatthefair.com for more information.

If you don’t really feel like driving out to Syracuse or you have already checked out Fright Night, there is another haunted attraction in Palermo, N.Y., which is less than a half-hour drive from Oswego. This haunted house features a “Museum of Fright” which contains spooky artifacts that will make you believe in the supernatural. Tickets are selling for $12 per person to view the entire estate, and a season scream pass is available for $35 to visit the estate as many times as you want throughout the 2012 season. Visit http://www.frightmarefarms.net for more information.

Carve a pumpkin! Go old school and carve a pumpkin with your friends! Make creepy face designs or friendly ones, stick a candle inside and there you go! You’ve got yourself a nice craft and a fun time with your buddies.

Host a scary party in your dorm or house! Gather up some candy, popcorn and soda and host your own Halloween party! Make it a themed party, or have everyone come up with creative costumes and host a costume contest. Dim the lights and take turns telling scary stories (they’re even scarier when they’re true). Play some board games, watch a couple of movies, or have a scary soundtrack playing in the background!

No matter what you decide to do on Halloween, make it a fun night and spend it with your friends. Try one of these tips out and see how much fun you can have with your pals, but remember to make it a safe Halloween!

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.