This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The 2023 season is coming close to an end, with January only being five weeks away. 

Besides preparing and celebrating the holidays, many people begin to reminisce on the past year and think about what 2024 will have in store for them. Apart from that, there is a very special event for many people that happens every year at the end of November / the beginning of December. Spotify Wrapped.

Through January 1st up until the end of October or mid-November, Spotify calculates all of the music you stream on their app, which includes songs, artists, albums, genres, and even podcasts. 

When the beginning of December rolls around, Spotify takes all of its calculations and shows the listener their top five artists, songs, genres, and podcasts in a little graphic video. 

They also automatically make a playlist of all your top tracks from the year for the listener to go back and listen to. 

Many people take to social media once it is released, sharing their top artists and songs with friends and such, while also roasting some people for their music choices. 

This event may sound silly to some people, especially Apple Music users, but for others, this is a huge deal and it is one of their favorite days, myself included in that bunch. 

There are many reasons why I and others love Spotify Wrapped. The main reason why I love it is because it is like a year in review. Music can tell you a lot about what a person is going through and who they are. 

Not only does it tell me about themselves, but it is a fun little way for me to see what type of music people like to listen to and how it compares to my music taste. 

Music is a big part of my life, so it is interesting to see what I and others have listened to this year and how it has changed since previous years. 

It is also fun trying to predict which artists will be in my top five for the year and seeing my friends’ predictions for themselves. For me, my number one for the past few years has been Taylor Swift, who will probably take the first-place spot again this year. 

Following Swift’s #1 spot, I believe my top artists will be as follows;  Arctic Monkeys at #2 The 1975 in 3rd, Harry Styles in 4th, and 5 Seconds of Summer in the last spot. 

It’s only a matter of time before I can see if my predictions are correct. Who do you think will be your top five artists of 2023?

Kiley Wren

Oswego '24

Hello! My name is Kiley. I am a senior Journalism student here at Oswego with a minor in Creative Writing! Prior to attending Oswego, I obtained my Associate's Degree in General Studies from Herkimer College, which is right near my hometown of Frankfort, N.Y. Coming here to Oswego has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I love being right by Lake Ontario, going for long walks around Oswego and of course the stunning sunsets. Aside from going on walks, I love to spend my free time dancing, listening to music, writing, watching movies, hanging out with friends and occasionally dabble in some sports!