This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Walking across campus people whisper about who they had been with the night before or how it’s great to make love with that special person you’ve been with for six months. But the question that is dodged most of the time is: Are you being safe?

It is important to have a basic knowledge on how to respect your body and prevent sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. Schools incorporate sex education in health classes and seminars around campus. Television shows such as “16 and Pregnant” and “Teen Mom” illustrate the consequences of unsafe sex and the many issues that encompass one moment of misjudgment. Although students nod their head in agreement of protection, they might not be taking the topic seriously.

Emily Markstein has been in a relationship for about seven months and while she isn’t with anyone else, she feels it is fine to have unprotected sex. Markstein has taken classes and even had health advisors talk to her about issues of pregnancy and STD’s. “You don’t think it’s ever going to happen to you. It’s just something you always see on T.V.” She believes that in a relationship it is different when it comes to using protection since there is a base of trust between partners.

Corey Sheen, 20, agrees that most students are educated from a young age and are given the benefit of the doubt to make the right choices. Sheen stresses that talking with parents will form a better understanding of being safe and also create a stronger bond when it comes to topics like this. “I prefer sex without a condom, but at times where safety is an issue, I usually wear one.”

If you are educated, then why not use contraception? Students, especially in college, make spur decisions, not even thinking about the consequences. During fall 2009, the National College Health Assessment reported 27.8% of students never, rarely, or sometimes use condoms or other protective barriers.

“We do get students that are pregnant and we have certainly seen a number of those over the years,” Director of Health Services, Liz Burns said. She also comments how only 50% of the student body understands about prevention and others are unclear and need more guidance. The health center gets their information out by word of mouth. At orientation they explain to new students about the resources around campus and the importance of safe sex, as well as pamphlets, and working with Oswego Health Promotion and Wellness Department.

Resources are available at Mary Walker Health Center:

• Condoms are sold at the health center for a dollar for a package of ten.
  • Plan B is offered for women who do not use protection for $20.
  • Free pregnancy testing
  • HIV/STD testing is provided at a reasonable cost (payment is due the day of the test)

The awareness of sexual education has come to be one of the most important platforms for today’s society. Oswego provides a safe environment for students where resources can be available without having them feel targeted or embarrassed.

“It’s about being safe with yourself and being respectful of the person you’re having sex with,” Sheen said.

I'm a junior. I like to read, watch T.V. and sleep. Aaaand that's it.