This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

During our latest chapter meeting we participated in an activity we called, “Roundabout Storytelling”. For this easy and quick game what we did was create three separate categories: theme, setting and a random word you must incorporate. We chose three outlines for stories randomly out of a hat and got started on our writing. Each person had five minutes to write before passing it off to the person on their left, to continue where they had left off. This went on until each person had a chance to contribute to each story. These are our final pieces.

1. Manipulation, The North Pole, Blood

(Lily) I arrived at the north pole feeling brisk. No palace has ever changed me so much. My body moves from cold to freezing in minutes, my blood seethes with fear. 

(Kayla) I knew that soon, the truth would be out. The blood on my hands started to dry, but the weight of my crimes will stay with me forever. As I look up, after so long walking in the north pole, is where I plan to commit my last crime.

(Ava) I start swimming through the snow like a crazy man, trying to disguise myself. Then, I see something in the distance– a polar bear. I decide to get on its back and hold on for dear life. “Ahhh”, I scream as the polar bear thrashes me around. 

(Lexi) I grab the rope wrapped around my waist and throw it around the beast’s neck. “You will submit,” I whisper into its coarse fur. I tug on the rope until the polar bear calms down, it’s ragged breaths fogging the air in front of me. “Let’s go. We have no time to waste”.

(Shanae) We traveled for what seemed like hours, i saw so many beautiful things. The night sky. The snow on top of the mountains. The animals in hibernation. How do I get to experience such beauty when I’ve done such horrible things? Thinking back, maybe I shouldn’t have done it. 

(Ellen) Such an act of manipulation has never been achieved, I mean my own best friend? We were two peas in a pod, there’s no way anyone would ever suspect me. No one would understand this but I had to do it. She was dangerous, but she just didn’t know it. Coming to think of it, I don’t regret it. I would do it again to save them from her, maybe they’ll never understand that, but I do, and that’s enough. 

1. Heroism, The Circus, Shovel

(Ava) One time at the circus, I saw something you would never guess. The elephant walked across the stage with big, loud steps. The announcer said, “ladies and gentleman, get prepared for the show of your life!”

(Lexi) His gleaming smiles reflected the fluorescent lights focused on him. I winced. The rest of the tent was quite dark. I could barely make out my friends next to me. The announcer paraded around on the stage, leading the elephant with a large rope. He didn’t see the shovel lying on the ground in front of him until it was too late, 

(Shane) “Thump,” went the shovel into the air after it was stepped on by the elephant’s large geet. The crowd stared in amazement as the shovel was going all over the tent. The only problem was that it didn’t come down. The shovel was magical and seemed to defy the laws of gravity. The magic shovel started zooming around the tent, with audience members duckign their heads and moving out of the way.

(Ellen) I stared in disbelief as the shovel made its way out of the tent. It was making its way straight for the ferris wheel, which just happened to be full of kids. As everyone stared in shock, for the first time in my life I felt compelled to be a hero. Don’t get me wrong i’m not the strongest or the fastest- but in this moment, only an act of heroism could save the day.

(Jasmine) An adrenaline rush zoomed up along my body, it was my time to shine. But, I froze thinking what is my superpower? Can I fly and soar across the sky to catch the shovel? Or do I have webs that will shoot out of my hands like Spiderman? There was no more time for questions,

(April) I lost my eyes deep down knowing what the answer had to be. With a sharp intake of air, and a crack of my fingers, I walked over to the corn dog stand. “Could i please get one corndog, extra mustard?” I said to the man. “I’m sorry,” he said apologetically, “we’re all out of corn dogs”. I raised my fist in anger, shaking it towards the sky. “Nooooooooo!” I yelled out, At that moment, my shriek was so loud…

(Kayla) …that it could be heard all throughout the globe, as all i wanted was a corndog. I turned back to look at the ferris wheel and I saw the shovel, except now it was floating closer towards all of the kids… to be continued….

1. Courage, Pool, Mushroom

(Shanae) How do I gather the strength to overcome this situation? What can I do to forget about you? About this? It’s been six months since the accident. My mom, brother, and I were driving home from my favorite amusement park, Lights. We had so much fun. I went on the ferris wheel, ate funnel cake and rode the tallest rollercoaster at the park without screaming, later on u teh day we decided to go to the community pool.

(Ellen) The pool was always a thrill but what always made me a bit anxious was the diving boards. There were three levels, the top one being the most terrifying. I never quite had the courage to go on it. It seemed  to be a theme  in my life, I always stopped myself  from doing things that brought me any fraction of fear. That’s until I saw you- the girl in the mushroom swimsuit. You stepped up to the tallest diving board with no nerves in sight. I watched you step up to the edge with no hesitation and dove off. 

(Jasmine) Staring in disbelief i could not believe what i was feeling. The most beautiful girl, and the bravest, the one who reflected what I wanted to be in life. How could I break out of this shell of fear, protecting me from what I believed to be the worst in the world. But, thinking now, I believe I may be the problem. Maybe I’m my own obstacle, not the factors and roundabouts that hold me back. 

(April) I watched her sink into the water, smooth and flawlessly. She climbed out of the pool with a smile, no uncertainty in sight. I wanted to follow  her lead, prove  to  her my courage could match her own. I slowly made my way up the steep steps of the pool ladder. 

(Ava) diving into a pool of water looks harmless but it feels like the most dangerous decision possible. I finally decide to take a  leap off, but when I land in the water I just see blackness and nothingness. Then, I see a bright light. I slowly open my eyes. I find a hospital room, and the same girl wearing a mushroom necklace. “Oh my god. He woke up!” Pools of water fall from her eyes. She is so brave.

April White

Oswego '23

April White is currently a senior at SUNY Oswego. She is a Broadcasting major with a minor in Creative Writing. More often than not you can find her either reading or tucked away in bed watching Netflix. She loves animals, iced coffee and the colors green and purple.
Hi My name is Jasmine Britt and I am a student at SUNY Oswego. I am majoring in Mass Communications and Broadcasting with a minor in Arts Management.
Kayla Hill

Oswego '25

My name is Kayla, I joined HerCampus, to explore my potential as a writer. I'm passionate for writing poetry, but have done other forms of creative writing in the past. When I'm not writing, I dual major in Sociology and Criminal Justice, with a Photography Minor. When I graduate, I plan to follow my dreams wherever they take me!
Alexandria is currently a senior at SUNY Oswego, majoring in Creative Writing with minors in English and History. She has been published in four different literary journals: The Great Lake Review, Gandy Dancer, Zenith Literary Magazine and Planisphere Q. When not writing she loves listening to music, or reading a book on a rainy day.