This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Her Campus Oswego got together to talk about our favorite fall activities! Everything from apple picking, to haunted houses, and more! Read on to see who pick your favorites.

Shannon
My favorite fall activity, hands down, is apple & pumpkin picking. I am a HUGE apple girl, and so I love going to the orchard and walking through the field, trying the apples out, and just generally enjoying the atmosphere. Most apple orchards also have things like candy apples, apple pie, and other apple/pumpkin treats to buy there, which makes the trip even better. Though when I was younger I typically went to Behlings, but my last experience there was extremely unpleasant, and so this year I’ll be going to Ontario Orchards with Her Campus! For pumpkins, I usually try to go later in October so it’s closer to Halloween before they start rotting. My family has always gone to Stoney Meadow Farm down the road from us to get our pumpkins. It’s a small business and I’ve known the man who works there since I was little; he’s an absolute sweetheart. It’s cash only but he’s always willing to work with you if you’re a dollar or a few nickels short. 

Olivia
It’s so hard to pick just one favorite fall activity, so I’m going to generalize and say my favorite fall activity is getting into the spooky mood. In recent years, two ways I’ve done this are going to Fright Nights in Syracuse, and seeing some good ol’ fashion slasher horror movies at Midway Drive-In. I love going to Fright Nights with a group of friends and just refusing to take it seriously in order to cope with getting scared. When you can’t tell if you’re screaming or laughing, that’s how you know you’re having a great time. As for Midway Drive In, I went for the first time last fall when most movie theaters were still closed, but I quickly fell in love with the drive-in experience and I hope to go again this fall. Whether I’m scrambling through a haunted house chased by Michael Myers or sitting in the back of a car watching a scary movie, I love existing in that space between fear and joy to get in the autumnal spirit. 

Erin
If you know me, you know I am like the “fall queen.” Pumpkin spice lattes, apple picking, scary movies, dressing up, etc. But, my favorite activity is decorating for the holiday. It always makes me happy every year when Spirit Halloween opens, and I can buy new things, especially decorations. This year in my dorm hall, I thought I was going to be the only one to decorate, but someone else has decorated and it made me so happy. This year, I mixed creepy and cute decorations. I put crime scene tape across my dorm, and colored little circles with a red expo marker to represent blood. But I also crafted little pumpkins to represent myself and my roommate. At work, we also got to decorate for fall, and it was so much fun to be a part of! After all the hard work, I treat myself to a horror movie, or a Halloween classic. 

Katie 
Fall is my FAVORITE time of the year. I look forward to drinking apple cider, pumpkin spice lattes, having homemade pumpkin pie and apple walnut muffins, pumpkin butter, and caramel apples. If you know me, I love a good cozy sweater and a comfortable and cute outfit, so I always cannot wait for the brisk, chilly weather! Every year, I always look forward to going apple and pumpkin picking with my family. Every year, my family goes to Averill Farms, an apple orchard that has been run by the same family since 1746! They have apple cider and apple cider donuts. They are the best apple cider donuts I have ever had. Truly undefeated. For Halloween, I love picking out candy to give out to trick-or-treaters, picking out decorations for my apartment door, and picking out a Halloween costume, and seeing everyone’s creative costumes! When I was younger, I loved trick or treating because I always enjoyed walking through different neighborhoods and attempting to get as much candy as possible at every store and house. Since my birthday is in early November, I can do fall-related activities or get ready for Christmas. Some of my friends and family members have fall birthdays, so I can have the opportunity to plan fall or winter activities when I spend time with them to celebrate! One of my friends once said, “fall is my happy season” and I couldn’t agree more. 

April
I LOVE scary things which is why Fall, and especially October, are one of my favorite times of the year. My favorite fall activity has to be getting into the scary and spooky spirit of Halloween. It brings me complete genuine joy to buy cheap “spooky” decorations and cover my house in as many as I can. This year I bought little hanging ghosts, caution tape, little tombstones and I’m still on the hunt for more things to put both outside and inside my house. Watching scary movies with the lights off,  fairy lights, candles lit and fuzzy blankets all around sounds like a perfect night for me. Every year I go to haunted houses and haunted hayrides with a big group of friends and have fun getting into the experience of running around, trying to be scared as much as possible. And although I’m not someone who gets scared or spooked easily, I love watching my friends who are less so on the “I love getting scared” side go through the mazes with me. Fall is definitely my favorite season and I make it my mission to complete every “fall activity” around this time of year. Carving pumpkins, apple picking, walks through the color-changing leaves, these are the things that make me the happiest every year.

Olivia is a Creative Writing/Theatre double major and Live Event Design minor in her senior year at SUNY Oswego. She spends her time reading, writing, working in Penfield Library's archives, and learning scenic painting/props/lights/dramaturgy in Tyler Hall.
Erin is a Cinema and Screen studies major and a creative writing minor. She loves Disney and Horror movies, and her favorite director is Taika Watiti. Despite film and writing, she also loves art, baking, and musical theater. She is a July Cancer and her favorite holiday is Halloween.
April White

Oswego '23

April White is currently a senior at SUNY Oswego. She is a Broadcasting major with a minor in Creative Writing. More often than not you can find her either reading or tucked away in bed watching Netflix. She loves animals, iced coffee and the colors green and purple.
Shannon Sutorius was an award winning 23-year-old English major, over 40-time-published author, editor, and former Teaching Assistant who graduated from SUNY Oswego in December of 2021. Shannon was one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Oswego, previously Senior Editor, and wrote the Advice Column, "Dear Athena." Shannon worked with and had been published in Great Lake Review, Medium, and Subnivean. Shannon's awards included the Edward Austin Sheldon Award, Pride Alliance's Defender of LGBT+ Rights in Journalism Award, and the Dr. Richard Wheeler Memorial Scholarship. As well, Shannon was an active member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.