Now Hiring: Make a Killer Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Summer is quickly approaching, which means it’s time for many upper class collegiettes™ to start applying for internships or searching for jobs. With the end of the semester only a few weeks away, now is the perfect time to make sure that resume is in its prime before you start distributing it to potential employers.

We talked to three employees at the Compass, Oswego State’s resource center, about the important dos and don’ts of resume writing. Ray Lopez, Arlen Halstead, and Taide Hernandez were all trained on how to critique resumes, edit cover letters and prepare students for the job market. Here are some of their secrets to resume success.

DO – KEEP YOUR RESUME TO ONE PAGE
“It’s easier for an employer to read,” says Lopez, advanced navigator at the Compass (yes ladies, the same Ray Lopez featured on Campus Cutie a few weeks ago!). It’s okay to do two pages if you have a lot of experience, he explains, but make sure it’s two full pages so it looks complete. Stuck at the awkward one-and-a-half? Cut some stuff down – it’s better to have a full page than a lot of white space.

DO – KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL
“A resume is a commercial about yourself, you’re trying to sell yourself to the employer,” says Lopez. “If you have a professional looking resume, it shows that you are professional.” What exactly is professional? Using a standard font, making sure there are no grammatical errors, following a precise format and keeping it neat are easy ways to make a good impression via resume, says Hernandez.

DO – USE THE REVERSE PYRAMID
Put the most important points at the top of the resume and least important at the bottom. Important points include your name and related experience. After those, work your way down by including organizations you’re involved in, your GPA (only if it’s over a 3.0) and any awards or scholarships you’ve earned.  “Your related experience will show that you have the skills that are important for the job you’re applying for,” says Lopez. “Be sure to keep it at the top.”

DO – MAKE IT UNIQUE
“Employers only look at resumes for an average of 30 seconds,” says Lopez. “Making your resume unique is a way to catch their eye and make sure they remember you.” Resumes can follow several different formats, so changing up your heading or using bullets to draw attention to important points are some of the ways to make your resume memorable and still professional. Printing it out on resume paper can also give you an edge, since it looks more professional, it’s sturdier and a different color than regular printer paper. Don’t have resume paper? The Compass provides students with free resume paper for up to 20 copies a day.

DO – PROOFREAD
“Give a copy out to as many critics as you can,” says Halstead. “You want to make sure as many people as possible fix it before you hand it out to employers.” Stop by the Compass to have it looked over for free if you’re not ready to show it to friends.

DON’T – INCLUDE A PICTURE

You may think including a snapshot of yourself could help you land a job, but it could hurt your chances instead. “You don’t want to be discriminated against, so don’t include personal details like your religion, age or sex,” says Hernandez.

DON’T – USE ABBREVIATIONS
“Remember, ‘cannot’ is a word but ‘can’t’ is not,” says Halstead. “Abbreviations aren’t proper grammar, so using them can make you look unprofessional.” Be sure to swap out all abbreviations, like SUNY for State University of New York and BA for Bachelor of Arts.

DON’T – LIVE IN THE PAST
“Employers want to see what you’re doing now, not what you did four years ago in high school,” says Lopez. Although you’re still proud of being captain of your high school soccer team, nix it for the resume. “Include a wide range of college activities instead,” Lopez says. “You can show the same qualities and that you’re not limiting yourself.”

DON’T – INCLUDE GREEK LIFE
“A lot of employers associate Greek life with partying,” says Lopez. Remember though, there’s an exception to every rule. “If you can use it to highlight community service or leadership skills, then include it,” he says. “Otherwise, leave it out.” 
There you have it, ladies! But remember, The Compass has sample resumes and free resume critiques for those collegiettes™ who are looking for more guidance, and is open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  

Samantha Shelton is a senior at SUNY Oswego with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. Hailing from a super small town that doesn't even have a stop light, Samantha enjoys soccer, spinning and trying any flavor of frozen yogurt imaginable! She has been the Managing Editor of her student newspaper, The Oswegonian, and completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program in 2010 at FITNESS magazine. Samantha recently launched Ed2010 at Oswego State, a national networking organization that helps students break into the magazine industry. These days, (when she’s not running from class to class) you can find Samantha at the campus fitness centers, where she works as the PR student manager and a personal trainer; working with Colleges Against Cancer to help find a cure; or in a comfy cafe chair reading her latest pile of magazines.