This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I have been reading a lot more the last few years, and as many people know, I’m a mood reader. Depending on the season or holiday coming up, I find myself leaning more towards reads that match that exact vibe. Although a day late, I’d love to share some of my favorite horror/thriller reads that I can guarantee will get you in a Halloween mood!

in a dark, dark wood by Ruth Ware

This is a bit of a weird start because Ware’s “in a dark, dark wood” technically takes place during winter, but hear me out! This was one of the first adult thrillers I had ever read, solely because one of my old coworkers recommended it to me. I couldn’t have been happier with the choice—this book is fantastic. It keeps you on your toes and has you questioning what’s going on from the very beginning. There’s a sense of unease painted perfectly throughout the story that leaves the reader uncomfortable in the best way, and I really can’t recommend it enough.

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

Okay, so I haven’t finished Ninth House yet, but its vibes are perfect for Halloween. Murders, mystery, and magic all play huge roles in Barudgo’s adult debut, and her storytelling never fails to impress me. The way Barugo builds up a magical world in the very real Yale University is intriguing and haunting at the same time. Ghosts (or “Grays”, as they’re referred to in the book) are introduced almost immediately, and although the story can begin kind of vague, and builds in such a way that keeps the reader curious without dumping too much. It’s definitely a book to check the trigger warnings for, but I can also tell early on it’ll be a favorite Halloween read for me.

Sadie by Courtney Summers

Finally, a young adult thriller. This book is definitely a bit more subtle than the other two, but there’s definitely a sense of unease and discomfort that follows the reader throughout the story. I also think the swapping perspectives between the missing Sadie and a podcaster who is trying to figure out where she went lends really well to the storytelling. The writing leaves the reader desperate for more information. It’s a perfect uncomfortable read for the Halloween season, even if nothing supernatural is going on. There’s a lot of action and beautifully written emotions that make it so I can’t think of a better recommendation.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.