Losing Weight: Competitions Raise the Stakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Thinking you’re not going to be able to keep up with workouts and eating decently because Mom cooks the best (but most likely) unhealthiest food ever? Think again.

I’ve stayed motivated in the past because I saw my goal and went for it. But, if you’re like me, your motivation has decreased and now you must look toward something else.

I’ve mentioned in my past blogs what I started doing to motivate myself and I am going to mention something else. Family is supposed to always be there for you, right? You’re a team! Here’s what I’m thinking of doing: asking my parents to join me on my weight loss goal.

This can be really inspirational, especially when you grow up, or in this case, even live around people who are goal-oriented and motivated because it does tend to rub off on you. Besides, you know what they say: the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

So what do you do? Talk to them about your weight loss goal and see if you can at least compromise on meals that won’t hurt you and won’t dissatisfy them. Even make a weight loss challenge: set a weight range (a lot of people do percentage but this is more difficult in my perspective) and a time frame in which to lose it. Then set a “treat” for the winner, like one will owe the other a $25-$50 shopping spree of their choice. That way it not only motivates those participating, but it’ll be fun! Plus, you’ll all be getting healthy together!

What do you do to stay motivated while at home? How can you “trick” yourself into healthy, fun weight loss?

Samantha Shelton is a senior at SUNY Oswego with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. Hailing from a super small town that doesn't even have a stop light, Samantha enjoys soccer, spinning and trying any flavor of frozen yogurt imaginable! She has been the Managing Editor of her student newspaper, The Oswegonian, and completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program in 2010 at FITNESS magazine. Samantha recently launched Ed2010 at Oswego State, a national networking organization that helps students break into the magazine industry. These days, (when she’s not running from class to class) you can find Samantha at the campus fitness centers, where she works as the PR student manager and a personal trainer; working with Colleges Against Cancer to help find a cure; or in a comfy cafe chair reading her latest pile of magazines.