This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

At the beginning of 2022, one of my New Year’s Resolutions was to get back into journaling. Something that took up most of my free time in middle school and high school has been nonexistent since I’ve started college. In a constant cycle of work, classes, and extracurriculars, it can be difficult to get back to things that you used to enjoy. To help others that might be going through the same thing as me, here are some journaling prompts to get you back into writing.

Daily Prompts

1. What was your favorite thing about today?
  2. What was your least favorite thing about today? Why was it your least favorite? How could it have been fixed?
  3. What are your biggest goals at the moment? Have you taken any steps today to achieve these goals?
  4. How did you practice self-care today?
  5. Is there someone you met today that made your day better or worse? Why?
  6. In detail, describe your perfect day. 
  7. What are three things that you want to get done today or in the near future?

Self-Reflection Prompts

1. What are 4 things that you are passionate about? How did you become interested in them in the first place?
  2. What are 3 things that you can improve on in my life? 3 things that you’re doing well?
  3. If you could time travel to any decade, which one would it be and why?
  4. What would you say in a letter to your younger self? What about your future self?
  5. What are some things that make you happy or upset? Why?
  6. What would you do if you won the lottery?
  7. What is your favorite physical feature or personality trait?

College Prompts

1. What is your favorite or least favorite thing about college so far? Why?
  2. How have you changed since starting college? Was there an experience or lesson that challenged any beliefs or values from home?
  3. In detail, describe the best night out that you’ve had in college.
  4. Have you met a friend or partner in college that has made your experience better? 
  5. What are some traits that you’ve developed in college that you would like to bring into your post-college life?
  6. Is there a class that you look forward to every day? What makes it interesting to you?
  7. What do you want to do after college? 

Relationship Prompts

1. What are some positive or negative traits you look for when talking to someone new?
  2. How has your experience with past relationships affected your outlook on relationships now?
  3. What is your love language? Do you have more than one? What experiences have contributed to your love language?
  4. What does love mean to you?
  5. What are some boundaries that you have for a potential friend or partner? Why have you created these boundaries? Have you been enforcing them in your current friendships/relationships?
  6. What qualities do you bring to a relationship? 
  7. Who do I rely on the most for support and advice? 
Shanae Gray

Oswego '23

Hi, my name is Shanae Gray and I'm an aspiring writer from the Bronx, NYC! I've been writing since I was little and have always wanted to become a journalist or author someday. Currently, my interests are reality TV shows, music/pop culture, as well as beauty and fashion!