freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Spend Valentine’s Day When You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The beloved day full of flowers, chocolate, oversized teddy bears, and heart-shaped everything is rapidly approaching. Love is in the air, your Instagram feed is full of corny couple appreciation posts… and you’re single. Single people often dread Valentine’s Day because it reminds them of how alone they can feel. The thing is, you don’t need a significant other on this superficial day to really enjoy it. Below is a list of ideas you can use to spice up your single Valentine’s Day plans.

Rom-Com Marathon

Romantic comedies are always a good idea, but what better day to binge all the classics? Straight up romance and Nicholas Sparks may be too sappy on this particular day, but when you mix it with comedy and some self-bought chocolates, your mood is inclined to boost.

Galentine’s Day Brunch

If you are a fan of the show Parks and Rec like myself, you may have thought this sounded familiar. It truly is a terrific idea, though. All your best girlfriends are sometimes all the company and love you need.

Singles Party

Throw a mini mixer full of young, hot, single people that can mingle with each other. You can play games, eat food, dance, and drown your loneliness in booze (for the night). Also, Valentine’s Day this year is on a (thirsty) Thursday so this could just be considered the pregame.

Self Love Day

The most important person to give your love to is yourself. Sometimes we get sidetracked with classes, work, and other day-to-day, hectic activities, and we can put ourselves on the back burner. Self-care and mental health need to be more valued. Spend this day with yourself. Go to a spa, go out to eat, go to a movie, go on a shopping spree, or just stay home in your pajamas. Paint your nails, shave your legs, do a face mask, or whatever puts your mind at ease.

Sam is a Business Administration major with an Entrepreneurship minor in her junior year at SUNY Oswego. She loves animals (especially cats), makeup, retail therapy, sunsets, iced coffee, and rewatching The Office.
Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.