Life > Experiences

How I Spring Clean My College Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As the semester comes to an end, it’s important that all students have a cleaning plan before they leave campus for the summer, or for forever. Whether you live on-campus or off, cleaning and organizing all of your belongings will make the move-out process easier. 

Now that I am off-campus in my own college apartment, I organize my cleaning process by each room. It’s also hard to clean every room in one day, so just try your best to clean when you have time and spread out time in between each room if needed. 

Kitchen:

For the kitchen, I start by going through my fridge and cupboards in order to determine what can be thrown out and what can be kept. I always keep boxed items that don’t expire because they can go home with me. Foods that expire like fruit, milk, eggs, etc., I plan to eat, donate to a friend, or if they’re already expired, I trash them. After organizing the fridge and cupboards, I do a deep clean of the counters, inside the fridge, and the floor. No one wants any ants or bugs over the summer, so I always make sure to try and deep clean areas that I may not always clean, like between the stove and counter. Once fully cleaned, I put all of my cleaning items together so I can take them with me when I move out.  

Living room: 

My current apartment has a nice living room, but my roommates and I barely use it. We also have an open floor plan, so cleaning the living room is pretty easy. We mop the floor, dust the tv and tv stand, and then clean under the couch cushions. Our apartment building provided the furniture for us, so they will also have someone who enters the apartment after we leave in order to clean again before new tenants arrive. 

Bathroom:

Cleaning my bathroom and preparing to move out has been stressful because I still need many of the products that I use for showering, my skincare routine, etc. My main plan is to pack everything I am not using into stackable, plastic containers that I can use at my next apartment. Once the lotions, perfumes, shampoos, conditioners, and other bathroom stuff are packed and labeled, I am going to deep clean the shower, sink, and toilet. I also plan on throwing out items that I don’t think should be reused – like a toilet brush and shower loofahs. 

Bedroom & Closet:

Cleaning these spaces may take the majority of your time since they tend to have our more personal items. Every spring, I make sure to go through my clothes and donate any items that I don’t want since excess clothes can take up valuable space. I also throw out any items that I don’t need or want to take with me. Packing also takes the longest, so I make sure that I give myself enough time and boxes in order to pack my clothes, books, and room decor. If you’re only leaving for the summer, you may be able to find local storage units that will let you store your items, but if you’re moving out for good, make sure you coordinate with someone to help you move all of your belongings in case you need more than one vehicle. 

Overall, spring cleaning can feel like a fresh start! I love that after a long year, I can clean and reorganize what I do and don’t want. As the weather gets warmer, I just feel more prepared and excited for any new experiences. With only three weeks left in the semester, I’ve already started planning my move out, and am ready to begin my next adventure at my new post-grad apartment! 

Jaylea Ransom is a communication major at SUNY Oswego and plans to attend graduate school for a master's in business administration. When Jaylea is not reading, writing, or completing work for an internship, you can find her watching Netflix or listening to music.