danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Create the “Perfect” Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Ladies, we did it. We survived mid-terms! Give yourself a pat on the back.

Even though we just fought and won a hard battle, now is not the time to slow down. Rather, this is the season of resumes! Whether you are graduating in December and looking to impress a future employer, or you are a student hoping to gain some experience through an internship, an awesome resume is the first step to success. For some of you this may be the first time that you’ve written a resume; for others you may just want to jazz up your current resume a little. Below are some helpful tips to ensure a high quality resume.

One of the most important things an employer looks for when reviewing a resume is its format.

• What type of font is used?

• How are your different strengths ordered?

• Is it in color or black and white?

• How efficient is the space used and is it pleasing to the eye?

These may seem like over-the-top analytical questions, but employers use them to gauge your interest in the job and your attention to detail.

For example, Times New Roman or Arial font is often the font used when writing in school; if you use it on a resume, an employer may think that you are inexperienced and uncreative. Perhaps use a different font that is easy to read, yet formal enough for a professional setting.

Using colors on your resume also shows that you are a creative thinker. One of the techniques I use when writing my resume is to research the website of the place I am applying to.

• Try and take note of the colors that are used in their website or logo and incorporate them into your resume.

• Don’t be afraid to show how passionate you are about their company.

It will show employers that you are interested enough in their business or profession to notice small details that define who they are. The way that your strengths are formatted are incredibly important, as well.

• Always put your greatest strengths first, as it will be the first thing employers look at.

• It is important to highlight all of your best qualities and experiences.

Suppose you are the head of your school’s chemistry club and are applying to a lab in Albany. Put that first. Maybe you took an internship with the Palladium Times here in Oswego and are looking to work in another newspaper or magazine. Put that first.

But what if you haven’t taken on an internship before this? Or worked in a club? Have no fear. Every job, big or small, imparts experience onto you.

Perhaps you worked at a supermarket for two years in high school as a cashier. One way you can make this job stand out is to say you “exhibited exemplary guest service in a fast paced work environment” or “maintained a positive atmosphere for both guests and team members.”

Words have a huge impact on the way your resume comes across. Employers like to see that you are able to be both friendly and reliable to customers and coworkers, as well as able to develop positive experiences from those interactions. Don’t be afraid to pull out all the stops.

Creating the perfect resume may seem like a daunting task, but really it’s just you represented on a piece of paper. Let your personality come through and really try to show your best traits. The point of a resume is to strut your stuff, so don’t be modest. As the saying goes, “confidence is key” and there is no truer place for that saying than in the job market.

I am currently I senior here at our fair SUNY Oswego! While I enjoy writing for Her Campus, I also participate as the managerial editor for the Great Lake Review, as a student manager(called a group leader) at the Mackin Dining Complex, and as a community service member for the Women's Honor Society, VEGA. My future is a bit of a mystery even to me, but I believe that I'll either pursue the life of a librarian or the life of a baker!
Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.