Health and Fitness: College Budget Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

College students know for a fact that money does not grow on trees and stretching the dollar is routine practice. Groceries can get very expensive and it’s hard to shop for one person. Here are some healthy, affordable recipes for the college student budget.

Theses recipes are all less than 300 calories and won’t break the bank!

French Toast With Fresh Berries: Breakfast
Six slices of bread
2 eggs
½ tablespoon- Cinnamon
1 tsp- Sugar
1 cup of berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, you name it!)

Mix the eggs, sugar and cinnamon together. Dip the bread into the mixture and move it to the skillet (skillet should be set at a medium temperature). Wait until the bread is light brown and take it off the skillet. Top it with your favorite berries and syrup.

Mediterranean Turkey Sandwich: Lunch
Spice up that boring, normal sandwich!

2 tablespoons roasted garlic hummus or plain hummus
2 slices whole grain bread
1 lettuce leaf/ or shredded lettuce
3 ounces thinly sliced, roasted turkey breast
1/4 cup thinly sliced cucumber
1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper strip

Orange and Fennel Salad With Pork Chops: Dinner

3  navel oranges
1 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon(s) sugar
1/2 teaspoon(s) cornstarch

4  (4-ounce) boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick trimmed
2 teaspoons fennel seeds, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
1 shallot, chopped
3 cup(s) watercress

Directions
Remove the skin and white pith from oranges with a sharp knife. Squeeze juice in a bowl; transfer the segments to another bowl. Whisk lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt into the bowl with the orange juice. Set aside.

Season pork chops on both sides with fennel seeds, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chops and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

–  Add sliced fennel and shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add watercress and cook, stirring, until it begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in the reserved orange segments, then transfer the contents of the pan to a platter.

– Add the reserved orange juice mixture and any accumulated juices from the pork chops to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Serve the pork chops on the fennel salad, and drizzle with sauce.

Chicken Puffs: Appetizer

2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
3 tablespoons chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3/4 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
6 tablespoons butter
3 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, slowly cook and stir skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, onion and garlic. Cook until onions are tender and chicken is lightly browned.
In a medium bowl, blend chicken mixture, cream cheese and butter until creamy.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Unroll croissants and divide in half to create 12 rectangles. Place approximately one tablespoon of the chicken mixture on each rectangle. Fold into balls.
Arrange balls on a large baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 12 minutes, or until golden brown.

Microwavable Apple Crisp: Dessert

4 large Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice

Directions
Spread the apples evenly in an 8 inch square glass baking dish. A deep dish glass pie plate will also work. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle this topping evenly over the apples.
Cook on full power in the microwave for 10 to 12 minutes, until apples can easily be pierced with a knife.

Enjoy!

I am from a small town outside of Syracuse, New York. In high school, I ran Cross Country and track where I competed in the 100m hurdles, 4x1, 200m and many other events. I now attend SUNY Oswego and I am majoring in journalism and anthropology. I have recently added a minor in health science because of my passion for health and fitness. Last semester, I wrote a health and fitness blog for Her Campus Oswego. I currently work as a personal trainer on campus. I love readings, writing, skiing, running, and I am a major shop-aholic! KM <3
Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.