This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

“One Nation Under God, Indivisible..”

Did we, as Americans, decide to throw this statement out of the window? Do we now think it is okay to break glass windows, burn raging fires, block Air Force veterans from witnessing our President’s inauguration, and make rude and vulgar comments about the First Family? During Donald Trump’s campaign, I was hesitant to believe in the change he preached, but I was still hopeful for a better America. Here we are, two weeks into his presidency, and the destruction occurring across the nation scares me more than anything President Trump could ever do.  

Donald J. Trump is the 45th President of the United States and that is not going to change, whether you love or hate him. And violent protests will not change that fact, either.

I understand many people are scared for the next four years, and rightfully so. However, before we turn the world upside down over our President, we must think about who these actions are affecting. Are they affecting President Trump? No, probably not. He does not visit the Starbucks just down the road that protestors destroyed, but the owner of that Starbucks is affected, and is facing significant damages because of these acts of violence. Unfortunately, the protests that our country has experienced within the past few weeks could potentially ruin and divide the United States faster than President Trump ever could. Overall, the violence hurts all of us. Trump isn’t the one who has to deal with this violence directly, and we have to try to make it past these protests and learn to live amongst the negativity.President Trump does represent change. He is the first President in the history of our country who has no political background. That is pretty exceptional if you ask me. You can view his presidency in any way you wish. However, one way or another, he won his chance to “Make America Great Again”. There are many positive changes Trump is promising. In his first thirty days as President, he plans to start the processes of appealing and replacing Obamacare, strengthening our Border Control and growing the United States Economy. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of jobs he is working to bring back to the United States. Just this past Wednesday, Trump also announced a new and improved Child-Care Plan, introducing lower child-care costs and extended paid maternity leave for new mothers.

My message is this: we need to stop dividing our country before he even gets the chance to make a change (be it positive or negative). All I ask is that we give our President a chance.

Hello, I'm Kaitlin. I am a Marketing major with a double major in Public Relations at SUNY Oswego. I have an incredibly strong love for the fashion industry, and hope to obtain a career involving that passion once I graduate in 2018. I have been a member of Her Campus for two years now and am extremely excited to be a Chapter Advisor! I'm a self proclaimed Christmas enthusiast, an avid lover of rainy days, and fun fact: I co-own an international pop-culture blog! 
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.