Halloween activities (That do not Involve Drinking)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

For many people, abstaining from alcohol and a sober lifestyle has been on the rise within college culture. Whether it is for personal, physical, or mental health reasons it is clear to see that more and more people are choosing the sober route. This kind of lifestyle, however, becomes extremely difficult to sustain once Halloween weekend (Halloweekend) rolls around. That is why I am going to provide a list of activities you can engage in if drinking is not for you!

Spooky Movie Marathon.

Gather friends, get some candy, make some snacks, and watch Halloween movies. These can be anything from classic horror movies: Scream, Friday the 13th, Halloween. Or even movies that you grew up with like movies like The Nightmare Before Christmas, Twitches, and Halloweentown. Either way, this is a great activity for Halloween and could be such a great way to get in the spirit. 

Make Halloween Treats.

As I mentioned, you could do this along with your spooky movie marathon! Growing up my parents always threw Halloween parties and would make candied apples, “dirt and worms”, and pumpkin seeds. Some other cool Halloween treats you could make are:

• Chocolate-covered strawberries in the shape of ghosts. 
  • Graveyard Brownies
  • Chocolate Covered pretzel sticks in the shape of spider webs
  • Jack Skellington Oreo or Cake Pops
  • Mummy Hot Dogs or Jalapeno Poppers 

Of course, if none of these interest you, there are always more options you can look up on Pinterest. This is a great way to actively do something for Halloween. 

Carve Pumpkins.

This is an activity that may be a bit messy but is always so much fun. From collecting the pumpkin seeds to the lovely smell to making cute or spooky faces in your pumpkin, this is a must-do activity to do this Halloween. Afterward, you can get battery-powered candles and put them outside to light up the night.

Have a Photoshoot.

Just because you are not going out this Halloween does not mean you can not dress up. Get your costume, grab your friends, and walk around town or make your own setup to take pictures. You could get orange lights from Walmart, hang up a sheet or blanket against a wall, and buy some cheap Halloween decor and you have a photoshoot set up. 

Visit a Haunted House or an Abandoned Building

Haunted Houses are perfect for Halloween. They make you scream and laugh and can be so much fun. Unfortunately, haunted houses tend to be pretty pricey. If you are looking for a cheap alternative, visit abandoned buildings in your area. If you go at night, especially if it is an abandoned hospital this can be so creepy. You could even bring an Ouija board to make things even scarier. 

Walk around your neighborhood and look at the lights.

Much like Christmas, people decorate in spectacular ways. One of my favorite parts of trick-or-treating as a kid was seeing all the pretty lights and decorations. This does not have to stop, however. Go for a walk with friends and play Halloween music on a speaker while you view all the beautiful lights. 

There are so many things you can do this Halloween that do not involve drinking. Though I only named a few activities, if you do not drink there are many alternatives to it. Take the time to figure out what would work best for you and actively participate in those activities and I promise you will have a great time.

I am a student at SUNY Oswego studying a BA of Arts in Political Science and minoring in Creative Writing. I am eager to express myself through my articles and hope to improve my skills!