Going On A Real Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about dating. More than I usually do. Probably because I haven’t gone on a real date in [insert measure of time here] and its finals week and I’m trying to procrastinate as much as possible. So it got me wondering about the whole dating thing, and the rules that go along with it.

Now, us ladies live in a post-Sex & the City society, where women are encouraged to go out and get what they want in every way, shape and form. Go out and create successful careers, go out and have fun with their giiiirlllfriends, and go out and get who they want, when they want. It has become more acceptable for women to make the first move- let it be a glance across a party, starting the conversation at the bar, or kissing him on the mouth. First.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I am a huge proponent for strong independent females (and if you have read any of my earlier rants, you know this is true) but when it comes to dating… well, I feel a little bit differently.

Besides the fact we live in a world where women are encouraged to do as they please and strive for what they want, we also live in a world where people just don’t date anymore.

Why is this? Because men have no idea how to romanticize a girl, and if they do, they don’t have the balls to actually do it.

In every relationship I have ever been in (boyfriend, “we’re just sleeping together,” friends that make out sometimes, etc.)  I have made the first move. I have been the one to grab the hand, or the mouth, or any other appendage. I have had to come up with what to do on a “date,” and that “date” normally entails watching Netflix and attempting at awkward conversation.

But I want to be asked out on a date, goddamit. I want to be taken out to dinner, courted, old school and all that bullsh*t. Dinner and a movie. Coffee. Anything. I am so starved for romance that I actually think a stranger opening the door for me is romantic. What is this!?

So I’m done making the first move. I’m done doing the asking and the kissing and the grabbing. All those boys out there can man up, and ask me on a freakin’ date. And the “date” will not include sitting in a dorm room. But it can include candles. And I’m okay with Netflix.

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.