Free Websites Students Can Use to Improve Their Writing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

1.      Mendely

Mendely is a website that helps you save other websites that you researched into your library with the click of a button. It cites your sources for you. It’s free and you can use it on mobile.

2.      Cold Turkey Writer

Cold Turkey Writer helps increase productivity by blocking all activity on your computer. You simply have to set a time or word limit and it will block everything out until you hit your goal. It’s free to use and can be downloaded onto any computer.

3.      Hemingway App

Hemingway App helps you check your papers for many different things! It helps with spell-check, overuse of adverbs, picks out passive voice, tells you if your text is readable and many more.

4.      Wolfram Alpha

Wolfram Alpha basically works like Google, but for academics. You can search from a wide range of things from mathematics to social sciences. It is a great resource if you want to find answers to anything at all.

5.      Wordcounter

Wordcounter helps you count words and figure out which ones you are using more than others. It also helps you improve your word choice and fixes grammar issues.

Nirdishtha Raj Sapkota is a Journalism and Graphic Design double major with a minor in Creative Writing. She loves indie and lofi music. You'll probably find her eating spicy and sour food or running around yelling for no particular reason. 
Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.