Clueing in on Campus Clubs: Biology Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

If you want to play doctor, you might want to visit the biology club. “SUNY Oswego biology students know how to unzip your genes!” says Secretary Stephanie Cornell.

Jokes aside, the club is all about exploring the human and animal bodies in more ways than one.

If you crawl, fly or stalk into Campus Center room 142 on a Monday night at 8:30, you will find some 50 members of biology enthusiasts engrossed in the evening’s activities. Biology club is a great way for zoology and biology members to get to know each other and network through club activities.

An average meeting might start with the facts. Upcoming events, community service and fundraisers might be addressed, followed by a fun activity to get to know each other, all of which are related to their love of the study of living things.

The biology club moves as fast as cheetahs with all the events they have throughout the year. Each year the group goes on mini trips throughout the year and then a major trip at the end of the year. In October, the Biology Club will be participating at the Zoo Boo at the Rosemont Gifford Zoo in Syracuse. The club tries to educate biology and zoology students about how they can get involved in the world of biological sciences.

Each year they raise money not only for trips, but to bring speakers to have them talk about their lives in biology. The students aim to promote these speakers and promote the importance of biology around campus.

So if you’re interested in tails or males, give the biology club a roar. The Biology club president is Anthony Provost, and the e-board is more than willing to welcome you in. Send them an email at bioclub@oswego.edu.

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.