This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

This summer was one of the first where I didn’t spend the majority of my time hanging with friends, visiting new places and doing those favorite summer traditions. Instead, I spent those few months out of school working at my hometown’s local baby clothing store. This meant I couldn’t cross off many of the things I had hoped to accomplish from my summer bucket list. Therefore, here is a list of some of the things I couldn’t do this summer, that I’m going to make sure I get done next summer.

Go To a Concert

• Before COVID-19 one of my very favorite things to do was attend concerts. The atmosphere when you’re in front of your favorite artists, surrounded by your friends, and going deaf by the minute from the booming music. 

Go Camping

• I haven’t gone camping since I was a child and honestly, I used to hate it. As a young kid getting used to the dirt, bugs, and lack of showers, it seemed more like a burden than a fun activity. Now, the idea of peace and silence I’d experience within nature seems so inviting. The thought of laying outside and watching the stars at night seems like the purest form of relaxation. 

Go to an amusement park

• I’m someone that LOVES amusement parks. I love rides, the greasy food, and even the almost always unwinnable game booths. Walking around all day, getting slightly sunburnt from waiting in line, and then ending the day at the waterpark is always a well-spent summer activity in my books. And maybe, if you’re lucky, you’ll wind up winning the water gun game and going home with a prize!

Make homemade popsicles

• I’m in a family full of people who are popsicle crazy. None of us know why or where this love of constant frozen treats on a hot summer day came from, but it’s become one of my favorite summertime qualities. As soon as the good popsicles and freeze pops start coming into stores I buy them in bulk, never allowing my house to become short of those delightful anytime snacks. But one thing I really wanted to do this summer was to make my own. Picking my own flavors and combinations and spending the time to make my own seemed like both a fun and cost-efficient option. 

Go on a picnic

• Ever since that TikTok trend began where people would go on a picnic and split a cake between wine glasses, I have been dying to do the same. All I want is to dress up in a cute outfit and take cute pictures of my cute cake with my cute wine glasses. 

Charcuterie board night

• This is another trend that’s been spreading over TikTok that’s had me absolutely addicted to the idea for months. This idea of a “charcuterie board night” is done when each person in a group is assigned a theme for their own charcuterie board. It could be fruit, veggies, cheeses, candy, chocolates, etc. Some people even went for more wild approaches like a McDonald’s board, a s’mores board, or ice cream sundae boards. Then each board is placed together to create a buffet style of different themed foods for a fun (and delicious) night with friends.

Garage sale hunting

• I’m someone who’d rather save a cent by buying something previously used than go out and buy something brand new. Garage sales are my favorite way to achieve this. So many people are constantly giving away or selling perfectly good items and furniture! Especially right now while in college, there’s no need to go out and buy new, expensive items. Buying reused is good for the ecosystem as well as your wallet. Not to mention you can always upcycle your purchases to make them more personalized for you. And you never know, sometimes you can find some pretty great finds at garage sales. 
April White

Oswego '23

April White is currently a senior at SUNY Oswego. She is a Broadcasting major with a minor in Creative Writing. More often than not you can find her either reading or tucked away in bed watching Netflix. She loves animals, iced coffee and the colors green and purple.