Ashley Stripling: Helping Students Transition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

If you’re a new student to SUNY Oswego this year, chances are you know her name. You’ve probably met her, spoken with her or she’s helped you out and you didn’t even realize it. She’s Ashley Stripling, and her sweet demeanor and goofy nature aren’t the only reasons she’s a well-known collegiette™ around campus – her role in helping students transition is.

Stripling, a public relations major and soon-to-be-declared business administration minor, dedicates her time to helping incoming freshman and transfer students make the adjustment to college life. She’s been a MOST mentor to transfer students, a Laker Leader this past summer and a peer advisor to freshman this year.

Stripling’s own experiences as a transfer student affected her decision to get involved in those programs.

“I was a transfer student and I really struggled with my adjustment into a four year school,” Stripling says. “Getting involved into these organizations helps me give other students a better transition than what I had.”

Stripling became involved with the MOST program the first year it was offered in 2010. MOST mentors serve as a resource for incoming transfer students, setting up meetings to help with everything from figuring out MyOswego to letting them know what’s going on around campus and being available for students as they need it.

“I definitely think having a mentor would’ve helped me with transition,” Stripling says. “Mine was kind of rocky and I almost transferred out, that’s why I want to make sure that they have a good experience.”

Stripling’s impact on her mentees is undeniable; many enrolled to be MOST mentors the following year and some even became her close friends.

“At the end of the program a lot of them came up to me and said everything you said and did really helped me throughout the year,” she says. “It feels great to know that I could help them out.”

Stripling’s time as a mentor led to her applying to be part of the orientation program for the following summer as a Laker Leader.

“The transfer orientation isn’t really as developed as the first year program and I wanted to be able to contribute to the changes for that,” she says. “And since I never had a first year orientation I wanted to be apart of that.”

As a Laker Leader, Stripling led the incoming freshman through the orientation programs during the summer.

“We had small groups where I got to personally meet students and they’d ask me questions and have one-on-ones with them,” she says. “A lot of parents came up to me too and said it was so helpful to have all that information and that they felt better about their kids coming here.”

Stripling raves about her experience as a Laker Leader and credits the program for helping grow as an individual as well.

“Personally, I’ve been able to open up more and I’m not afraid to take charge or take on the leadership role,” Stripling says.

Stripling is going to be team captain for next year’s orientation program, overseeing the Laker Leaders during the summer.

Her role as a Laker Leader led her to pursue the position she currently holds as a peer advisor to undeclared majors. As a peer advisor, she serves as the right-hand to each student’s academic advisor but focuses on helping students with problems like registering for classes or finding what they want to major in.

“I wanted to keep up with the students I met over the summer and help them figure out what they wanted to do at college,” she says.

So, what does a collegiette™ like Stripling like to do when she’s not helping every other student out on campus?

“I like long walks on the beach, you know…” she laughs. “Just kidding! I guess I really just like to sleep.”

Next year, in addition to being the Laker Leaders team captain, Stripling will also serve as the assistant to the mentor program and plans on keeping up with her role as a peer advisor.

“It means a lot that I helped so many students on their way here. It’s really rewarding,” she says.

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.