Americorps at the Oswego Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

This summer I spent time serving Americorps at the Oswego Library, and it was truly a life changing experience. After working with over 400 members of Oswego’s Youth, and assisting with the execution of a phenomenal summer reading program, it is safe for me to say I am a changed young lady.

I was introduced to some of the brightest minds I have ever encountered, in
both the children and the ladies that plan, run, and create the summer reading program. With a new and exciting craft or program every single day, it could be tiring for us all. However, as soon as any of us caught the thrilled faces of a child making a firefly flashlight, fatigue was no longer an issue.

I can genuinely say I felt as though not only my life was changed, but that I changed the lives of those children- as do all the ladies involved with the summer reading program here in Oswego. Instead of seeing the children walk into the library with a look of disdain, they entered with excitement. They were excited to have a snack, and create something beautiful- but also to choose books to read. At times it was if every single book in the library had been checked out by some eager girl or boy.

The most fun I had was implementing fitness and nutrition with Star Day. Jen Blanchard, my fellow Americorps member at the Oswego Library, had put together many activities for the children to do that were fitness related. Such as Jupiter Jog, which involved the children playing in a pit filled with one hundred balloons. I have never seen such genuine happiness.

In reflection, I have had the time of my life serving Americorps at the Oswego Library this summer, while implementing fitness and nutrition initiatives. If I could relive it, I would. And I would continue to love and appreciate every moment of it.

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.