8 Quotes You Need for Your Self-Love Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

People will always tell you, “College is the time of your life.” But most don’t mention the part of the journey that takes you down the road of self discovery. Most college students can probably vouch that it tends to be a bumpy road with no end in sight. It’s no longer just your hormones stirring up confusing emotions. It is also the fast paced lifestyle of going away to school and meeting so many people and being exposed to new things . You change and grow quickly. The confusion then sets in looking in the mirror trying to understand who you are and making sure it’s who you want to be.

It seems dramatic, but everyone has had that moment. Some days it’s harder than others, and those are the days to relax and treat yourself. Mind you, self care is more than doing a face mask and indulging in Keeping Up With the Kardashians; it’s also about empowerment and building that long-term commitment with yourself.

Friendships and relationships may come and go, but the one relationship that will always be there is the one you have with yourself. Surprise! You’ve been in a long-term relationship your whole life, so why not get to know your true self. Build a trust within and know what really makes you happy, and what is something that isn’t worth holding onto. The more you love yourself and get to know yourself, the stronger your other relationships will become because your confidence will expose the real you, and that’s really all anyone could ask for.

Here are some quotes that will help you on your collegiette journey of self-love and discovery!

1. “You gotta nourish to flourish.” – Luvo

2. “The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself.” – Maya Angelou

3. “Inner peace begins the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.” – Pema Chodron

4. “Darling, self discovery isn’t always about the most convenient ways. You’ll have to burn, learn and yearn, the unexpected, the unusual and the unknown.” – Noor Unnahar

5. “Decide. So, do it. Decide. Is this the life you want to live? Is this the person you want to love? Is this the best you can be? Can you be stronger? Kinder? More compassionate? Decide. Breathe in. Breathe out and decide.” – Meredith Grey

6. “Step into the fire of self discovery. This fire will not burn you, it will only burn what you are not.” – Mooji

7. “Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.” – Carl Jung

8. “The surest way to lose your self-worth is by trying to find it through the eyes of others.” – Becca Lee

The road to self discovery is hard and important. All good things take time, so take that time to improve your relationship with yourself.

Check out this website to help you handle your stress!

Creative Writing Major // Global & International Studies Minor at SUNY Oswego
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!