The 5 Best Cruelty-Free Brands

There are so many skincare and makeup brands out there, it’s often hard to find ones that are good for your skin and of course, affordable. But another thing to consider when buying your beauty products is if the company tests on animals.

Any beauty product that is certified cruelty-free will have the leaping bunny on the front or back of the product, which tells consumers that the product has not been tested on animals. After looking at the website Cruelty-Free Kitty, I noticed that A LOT of the brands I used like Aveeno and Maybelline all test on animals. I was shocked to learn that some of the biggest companies tested on animals, many of which I believed most people didn’t know about.

So, if you’re looking for some brands that are leaping bunny certified, here are five of the most popular/common cruelty-free brands.

1. Alba Botanica

Alba Botanica has recently been one of my favorite skincare brands! There are so many things to like with this company - from their packaging to their marketing to the good ingredients in all of their products, I am slowly becoming obsessed with this brand. I especially love this moisturizer, which is from Walmart! It’s light on the skin and leaves it feeling super soft after. But the best part about Alba Botanica? How open they are about not testing on animals and making products that reduce their carbon footprint. This is definitely one of the best cruelty-free brands out there.

2. Colourpop

Most people know the craze that’s Colourpop, AKA one of the most affordable makeup brands out on the market! They used to just be online only, but now, their products have come to Ulta Beauty. Just like Alba Botanica, in their mission statement, Colourpop prides themselves on being cruelty-free, and instead, testing on their own employees. (Which is SUPER awesome and WAY better for the little furry animals!) What I love most about this brand is that all of their products are well within people’s budgets and never get too pricey. One of my favorite products from them are their “lippies,” which are tiny lipsticks that are only $5.50! This lippie, in the shade ‘Little Tings,’ is my go-to for class, meetings or a night out.

3. LUSH

We all know and love LUSH. I first heard about LUSH in 2015, when I went to New York City with my best friend during the holidays. There are seriously so many things that are awesome about LUSH - from their bomb bath bombs, their advocacy for social issues (like the death penalty, putting women in Congress, etc.) and making all of their products from fresh fruits and vegetables, this brand is seriously my number one skincare brand for every reason under the sun. But the best part is, whenever you walk into a store, the LUSH employees always inform you that their company supports the environment and is cruelty-free. And if that isn’t A1 marketing, I don’t know what is!

4. Milk Makeup

Milk Makeup is definitely going be a makeup powerhouse in the next few years. It’s already insanely popular and is now sold in stores like Urban Outfitters, but through talking with a few of my friends, some of them didn’t even know what this brand was! Milk has the some of the best beauty products on the market right now, like their Cooling Water, Sunshine Skin Tint and Holographic Stick. I love their almost space-themed aesthetic, with funky holographic/sparkly patterns and their fun makeup looks they show on their Instagram. And they’re unapologetically paraben-free, 100 percent vegan and certified cruelty-free.

5. The Body Shop

The Body Shop is my favorite brand for all things face masks. With their slogan “Nature Inspired Beauty. Never Tested on Animals,” I was immediately sold when I first discovered this brand, which is sold at places like Ulta Beauty. One of my favorite products from this company is their Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask, which is hands down my favorite face mask I’ve ever used. The tiny bits of charcoal extracts all of the bacteria and gunk in your pores, leaving your skin literally glowing after use! What I love most about The Body Shop is they helped to end animal testing in the UK and are currently working on implementing against animal testing in the European Union and have their eyes set on taking their stance to the United Nations. We stan a brand that fights for the animals.

While there are so many brands out there that are cruelty-free, these five brands are definitely my favorites and are some of the most well-known. While it’s hard to get rid of a product you own that is tested on animals, it’s good to support the companies that work to protect them. I know for myself, I absolutely love my Aveeno Everyday Moisturizing Lotion. However, I am trying to find alternatives that are cruelty-free (and good for my skin) that I could start to integrate into my routine. It’s not easy to do, but it is extremely worth it.