Life > Academics

4 Fast Study Spots I’ve Found During My Time at SUNY Oswego

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

4 Fast Study Spots I’ve Found During My Time at SUNY Oswego I transferred to campus back in spring 2023, so going into my third semester here, I’ve found some spots that I think are good spots on campus to do a small assignment, read a chapter, or even work on a project. Especially as we get ready to finish midterms this week and go on spring break, these are some places to think about coming back to. The Commons in The Village:I’ve been fortunate enough that during my time living on campus, I’ve been able to be at The Village on campus, which serves juniors and seniors who live in a townhouse-type setting. Like a residence hall we also still have a common area, where we can get together with others, host meetings, and access our mail. Inside the Village Commons, there is a large room that usually is used for events or meetings, but it can also serve as a useful area to study. The room is pretty open and has tables, chairs, and sofas to choose from. It also is nice, because you don’t have to live in the Village to have access to the room. My only advice is to ask ahead if they have something going on, so you can make sure the area is free to use.The Small Corners at Richard S. Shineman Center:The Richard S. Shineman Center is usually the building of choice for STEM majors, but it can be for everyone. Besides the great cafe they have, Fusion, this building is great to study in. Especially in the small corners, we might not notice. Such as the side of the building that faces Lee Hall, there are small areas with tables facing all these windows. The corner showcases the outside perfectly for students sitting at the windows. It also serves as a calm corner to be away from noise and study. Especially now that spring is coming, this is a great place to get to enjoy the sun or watch the sunset even when you don’t have time to. The Benches Through Lanigan:Lanigan is another place that can serve as a calm place to study. On the second floor or technically third if you count the basement as the first are benches and sometimes small tables with some chairs. This area is a good area of study because it often is pretty quiet. Even though due to the height it can echo, it is a building that often doesn’t produce much noise unless a lecture is finished and a large class size is coming out. There also seem to be fewer distractions, as there isn’t tabling anywhere and there aren’t really many events being held there.The Second Floor of Penfield:The last place I’ve found is the second floor of Penfield. The library is often one of the first places students will head when studying, making it a crowded spot most times. Given the popularity of Penfield, it can sometimes be hard to find a spot you not only feel comfortable with but aren’t taken before you get there. However, the second floor of Penfield seems to have quite a few options. These range from a quiet study table area right as you reach the end of the staircase, to tables between the shelves, all the way to a comfortable area for tables, couches, chairs, and even rocking chairs.  So, I hope that as you finish this stressful week full of midterms and projects you can start to think about these spots for the future. Take the time over break to relax, but when you come back these spots could benefit you if you need a new area or just want to try one. 

I transferred to campus back in spring 2023, so going into my third semester here, I’ve found some spots that I think are good spots on campus to do a small assignment, read a chapter, or even work on a project. Especially as we get ready to finish midterms this week and go on spring break, these are some places to think about coming back to. 

The Commons in The Village:

I’ve been fortunate enough that during my time living on campus, I’ve been able to be at The Village on campus, which serves juniors and seniors who live in a townhouse-type setting. Like a residence hall we also still have a common area, where we can get together with others, host meetings, and access our mail. Inside the Village Commons, there is a large room that usually is used for events or meetings, but it can also serve as a useful area to study. The room is pretty open and has tables, chairs, and sofas to choose from. It also is nice, because you don’t have to live in the Village to have access to the room. My only advice is to ask ahead if they have something going on, so you can make sure the area is free to use.

The Small Corners at Richard S. Shineman Center:

The Richard S. Shineman Center is usually the building of choice for STEM majors, but it can be for everyone. Besides the great cafe they have, Fusion, this building is great to study in. Especially in the small corners, we might not notice. Such as the side of the building that faces Lee Hall, there are small areas with tables facing all these windows. The corner showcases the outside perfectly for students sitting at the windows. It also serves as a calm corner to be away from noise and study. Especially now that spring is coming, this is a great place to get to enjoy the sun or watch the sunset even when you don’t have time to. 

The Benches Through Lanigan:

Lanigan is another place that can serve as a calm place to study. On the second floor or technically third if you count the basement as the first are benches and sometimes small tables with some chairs. This area is a good area of study because it often is pretty quiet. Even though due to the height it can echo, it is a building that often doesn’t produce much noise unless a lecture is finished and a large class size is coming out. There also seem to be fewer distractions, as there isn’t tabling anywhere and there aren’t really many events being held there.

The Second Floor of Penfield:

The last place I’ve found is the second floor of Penfield. The library is often one of the first places students will head when studying, making it a crowded spot most times. Given the popularity of Penfield, it can sometimes be hard to find a spot you not only feel comfortable with but aren’t taken before you get there. However, the second floor of Penfield seems to have quite a few options. These range from a quiet study table area right as you reach the end of the staircase, to tables between the shelves, all the way to a comfortable area for tables, couches, chairs, and even rocking chairs. 

So, I hope that as you finish this stressful week full of midterms and projects you can start to think about these spots for the future. Take the time over break to relax, but when you come back these spots could benefit you if you need a new area or just want to try one. 

Hello, I am Leila LaJoie (she/her). I go by Leila, but sometimes people call me Laine. I am a 21-year-old in my final year of undergrad at SUNY Oswego. I double major in Journalism and English, so I have always had a love for writing in general. In my free time I enjoy writing, reading, dancing, listening to music and going on walks. As far as what I focus on while writing, I'm very open, it really depends on what I'm into at the moment as well as what is going on around my environment. I am grateful for the opportunity to start this journey on Her Campus, as it will allow for me to have a writing outlet that can kickstart and further me into my career. It also will allow me to hear more about others' stories and experiences. A stepping stool if you will to my future and connections to be made.