10 Fun and Affordable Summer Activities for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Being born and raised in Manhattan was a way different lifestyle and experience than my college town in Oswego, New York. That’s why I decided I want to spend the summer in the suburbs! Here are some things on my summer bucket list and affordable activities for this summer. 

1. Bonfires

Growing up in Manhattan my whole life, I never had the chance to make a bonfire like in the movies until now! Upstate is the perfect place to have bonfires or any place is fine for a bonfire. Roasting some marshmallows while having a summer playlist on is a summer vibe.

1. Drive in movies

This is also another fun activity I never got to experience growing up in the city. Drive-in movies are so cute and you could use Pinterest for some inspiration on how to make the car look aesthetic and cozy. Or just a projector outside in your backyard is also another alternative to an outdoor movie. I especially like them during sunset or after sunset because I love to look at the stars during the night.

1. Inflatable pool tube

Personally, I can’t swim and I can’t ever do this, but buying a cute inflatable pool tube and relaxing at the beach, pool, or lake would be such a cute and relaxing summer activity. 

1. Camping

Recently I’ve discovered a cute pink camping tent on Pinterest and I’ve been obsessed with it. This is on my summer bucket list! Just having a cute tent set up somewhere in a patchy grass area and just reading in there would be an amazing summer activity in my eyes.

1. Baking and decorating summer cookies
Spoon Csu-Blueberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Brook Buchan / Spoon

Baking during the summer is underrated but so worth it when you have a sweet craving. Also, what a great time to decorate cookies beach themed!

1. Carnival

No matter where you are this summer, there has to be a fair or carnival at some point. Something about going to a carnival and playing games just screams summer. Not to mention the beautiful views during sunset.

1. Trying out new ice cream places/flavors

We all love a nice cold treat during summer. Why not make it a fun game and try all new flavors or go out to a new ice cream shop each time? Not only will you try new flavors, but you’ll most likely find a new flavor you like that you never knew about before.

1. Picnic 

Every summer, I always have picnics with my friends because they’re the perfect summer activity. You could either just eat, paint something, play games, make scrapbooks, and so much more while you have your picnic. The number of activities is endless. 

1. Build a flower crown

Building a flower crown on a cool sunny day is like a fairytale. I’ve never done this before but it is on my summer bucket list because it’s something I don’t see many people do, but it’s super cute!

1. Walking around the neighborhood you’re in

This is a great way to explore new places in town and get your steps in. I do advise researching the area before you take a walk and exploring just to be safe. I did this one summer in Manhattan and went to every neighborhood in Manhattan and saw how different each neighborhood was and what stores they have. 

I'm Tiffany, a Marketing student at SUNY Oswego and one of our Her Campus at Oswego Campus Correspondent!