This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

In early 2017, “Get Out” was released in movie theaters worldwide. Ever since, the film has been a hot topic of discussion. With culturally heated debates and groups such as Black Lives Matter on the rise, the film could not be more relevant to America’s current cultural climate. Whether the film blew your mind more than you ever thought possible, or you predicted the ending in the first scene, the film has started what some might call uncomfortable, but others culturally important, conversations between people of differing races and ethnicities.

A quick run-down of the film: Rose (Allison Williams) takes her boyfriend Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) home to meet her family, but doesn’t think it’s important to tell them that he’s African-American. The foreseeable awkwardness ensues: Rose’s father shows his love for Obama, her brother tries to get him to hone into his “given athleticism”, and other cringe-worthy interactions. Chris feels a strange energy within the staff of the property, who are all African-American. That’s literally all I can tell you without spoiling it. Sorry.

So who could be responsible for the first horror/thriller/comedy/culturally-impactful/political film of its kind? The first-time director and screenwriter, comedian Jordan Peele (“Key and Peele” anyone?), told NPR of his motivations for this film, “It was very important to me to just get the entire audience in touch in some way with the fears inherent [in] being black in this country…Part of being black in this country, and I presume being any minority, is constantly being told that … we’re seeing racism where there just isn’t racism.” The beginning of “Get Out” perfectly displays Peele’s reference to disregarded racism through the way Rose’s family is thrown off by the race of her boyfriend.

Peele’s film is separated into a few specific parts pulling from different realms of racism, “…The fear I’m pulling from is very human, but it’s not necessarily a universal experience, so that’s why the first third of the movie is showing, and not in an over-the-top way, in a sort of real, grounded way, just getting everybody to be able to see the world through my protagonist’s eyes and his fears.”

In my personal opinion, the time has never been better for “Get Out.” This film brings you into the eyes of Chris and gives insight into the world of the average African-American individual. The narrative of this film is truly genius, and in a world where most films only display African-Americans in certain roles, films like this are essential. As an added bonus, Peele adds comedic characters and breaks to lighten the mood (this film was one of the best viewing experiences I’ve ever had in a theater. Be prepared to yell at the screen). 

The world is beginning to recognize Peele’s pure genius, thankfully, as “Get Out” was just nominated for four Academy Awards. I wish Daniel Kaluuya and Jordan Peele the best of luck at this year’s Academy Awards, and encourage you to watch this film and reflect on our nation’s true cultural status (like I seriously can’t tell you much more, please go watch it).

Jordan Peele behind the scenes of Get Out.

Second Year Strategic Communications major at THE Ohio State University