Students Jump for Joy at News of Osama’s Death…In Mirror Lake!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Buckeyes are notorious for their pride, for not only their school and state, but also their country—and they love to show it too.  Last night, with the news of the death of Osama Bin Laden, the terrorist leader behind the 9/11 attacks, students took the opportunity to celebrate the way only Ohio State-ers can.  If you were on campus last night, you know what we’re talking about: fireworks, chants of “USA!” and “We got ‘em!” and “Yeah America!,” and even an impromptu midnight Mirror Lake jump caused Ohio State to come alive last night on an otherwise sleepy Sunday.  According to The Columbus Dispatch, over 1,000 students participated in the jump, many of whom waved U.S. and Ohio flags as they sang various patriotic songs from within the water.  “Mirror Lake” was even a trend on Twitter last night!

One of our writers, Sally Sarko, was at the jump, and snapped some pictures of the wild experience. 

Where were you last night and how did you celebate?  Comment below; we want to hear your stories!

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.