Shane Ingalls, ’14: USG Chief of Staff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Meet Ohio State’s newest Campus Celeb, Shane Ingalls! If you’re looking for an organization to join, student government might be a great fit. Shane has been involved in it for years, and his passion for serving the students of Ohio State hasn’t lessened a bit. He’s crazy for the Buckeyes and super passionate about what he does for OSU.

Hometown: Madison, OH
Hobbies: Ohio State Athletics Enthusiast, Golfing, Running
Major: Business Administration – Accounting
Year: Senior

HC: What made you decide to become involved in OSU’s undergraduate student government?
SI: My freshman year, I participated in the John Glenn Public Affairs Learning Community. I became very close with my fellow learning community members and a few of them had joined USG and encouraged me to do the same. After initially joining, I met a lot of great people and found that I could truly help improve the lives of students at The Ohio State University, so I quickly became very passionate for the organization.

HC: In order to become the Chief of Staff, I’m sure you had to work your way up in USG. What was your first title and how did you move up from there?
SI: I did, in fact, have to work my way up through the organization! I started at the end of my freshman year by applying for a general membership position on the Sustainability Committee (Project Manager was the official title). After doing that for a year, I was appointed to serve as the Director of the Sustainability Committee, and one more year later, I was appointed as Chief of Staff.

HC: What’s does your involvement in USG demand from you each week?
SI: It demands a lot. I am in charge of running our seven committee, 175 person Cabinet; as well as working with our President, Taylor Stepp, on a wide variety of upper level policy initiatives. Some of the tasks I am responsible for are: sending out our weekly newsletter which highlights upcoming and ongoing projects/events in and outside the organization; planning our General Cabinet Meetings each week; I serve on the University Senate Steering Committee; I comprise all quarterly budgets for the organization; I work directly with all of our Directors to ensure their projects and initiatives are going well; I meet with administrators to discuss project ideas and areas for collaboration; I also serve on the University Senate Fiscal Committee which meets weekly. All in all, I would say it’s pretty comparable to a 40 hour work week!

HC: If someone wants to join a student organization at Ohio State, how should they go about doing it?
SI: Go to a meeting! I often receive lots of emails from students who want to get involved here on campus (usually with USG). These emails are great, but I always think that when a student takes the initiative to come to one of our meetings, introduce themselves, and express their interest in our organization, I always feel more connected with that person and excited to help them join our group.

HC: Each school year, what event do you really look forward to?
SI: I really enjoy Ohio State athletics. In my opinion, nothing can beat a home game Saturday in Columbus; the stadium, the campus – the city is just electric! Also, if anyone has never been to a skull session, which is something everyone should do before they graduate – or if they are just coming down for a game sometime. Another aspect I always look forward to is all of the events surrounding beat M*ch*g*n week. Seeing all of the M’s covered up around campus and the energy across campus is great! I always look forward to when the weather begins to get nice in the spring and Oval Beach begins to bloom. There are few things more “Ohio State” than walking through the Oval to class on a warm spring day and everyone is out playing Frisbee, laying out in the sun, or throwing a football; it’s just a perfect Ohio State experience.

HC: What do you aspire to do after graduation?
SI: Work! I am still interviewing for full-time employment and am aiming to have a job by Christmas. I am looking to work in corporate accounting either in cost accounting, financial reporting, or a financial leadership program. Outside of work, I would love to continue being involved in some sort of civic service in whatever community I end up in and continue to help improve the status quo!

Megan is a senior at The Ohio State University and a contributing writer for Her Campus. She's majoring in journalism with an international studies minor. This past summer, she interned for 614 Media Group. This fall, she's a reporter for Ohio State's newspaper, The Lantern. She has dreams of moving to the west coast, becoming a writer, and owning far too many pugs.